Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signal issues? You're holding the phone wrong.

In case the Apple support forums are your first stop on your search for why your signal is dropping when you hold your phone, Steve Jobs and Apple consider it a "non issue" and to "avoid holding in that way".

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/24/steve-jobs-describes-iphone-4-signal-strengt h-a-non-issue/

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 10:12 PM

237 replies

Jun 24, 2010 11:18 PM in response to Cory Jackson

This is an absolutely shocking response after spending so much for a phone. I would agree that on some phones signal degradation may occur but not to the extent of going from 5 bars of 3G to none. And to then being told to hold the phone a different way. I have tried holding it in different ways with all feeling uncomfortable. Then to make matters worse, the problem should be improved if you use a case. Well clearly that's why the bumpers were being pushed in my face at the apple store, obviously apple were aware of this problem. If a case should fix the problem and apple agrees with this then they should at least lower the price or let those who can show they have this problem get a case for free!

Jun 25, 2010 12:12 AM in response to Cory Jackson

Seriously Steve? We're holding it wrong?
Have you looked at your Video on your web site?
Engadget has 20 screen shots from Apple's own video showing everyone holding this phone in the bottom left corner.
My phone is going to be here in the morning, if I can't hold the phone and make a call. I will return the device and stay with my 3GS until we get free bumpers.

I honestly can not believe steve told people they were holding it wrong.
I am on of Apple's BIGGEST promoters to EVERYONE I come in contact with.
Now, I am embarrassed because of this. People ask if I work for Apple or own stock because I talk about how awesome Apple products are.

This was a known issue before it's release and the most ignorant statement I've ever heard. You are holding wrong...

Really...

Message was edited by: 09minimac

Message was edited by: 09minimac

Nov 8, 2018 12:10 PM in response to Cory Jackson

I just feel sorry for those that have to put up with a phone which isn't even fully fit for purpose.

I shan't be buying an iPhone 4G until this issue is fixed... a free case is NOT good enough.

Jun 25, 2010 12:45 AM in response to samanthaleaa

I'm suffering from the same problem, please understand that it's not "gripping the left corner" in an unusual way that causes the signal problems, it is simply holding the phone in my left hand, as i would normally hold it, so I can navigate the menus with my right hand.

see this post on engadget http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/hey-apple-youre-holding-it-wrong/ for images of how holding I'm holding the phone "normally".

Jun 25, 2010 1:02 AM in response to Cory Jackson

Let's put this "Steve Jobs" response in perspective....

Yes, the question went to one of Steve Jobs known email addresses. His mostly publicly available one at that. Yes, Steve has personally been known to answer a few emails from this account. Let it be known most emails sent to this account are answered by someone else other than Steve Jobs - this has been known for a long time.

Now in reality, also what is the chance he is personally sitting there answering the public's emails on the release day of Apple's biggest product launch in history with an "issue" that seems to be affecting a large number of the devices. I'm pretty sure he has been busy on conference calls, in meetings, etc! Even if he was to make a public response to this "issue" it wouldn't be in a single email to one person!!! It would be on a video or in writing on Apple's web site and would probably come after hours of meeting with lawyers etc. It most certainly wouldn't come in a couple word email response to an individual iPhone 4 owner. My guess is whoever did respond from Apple through the sjobs@apple.com email address with this is probably now adding to the high unemployment rate in the US.

Jun 25, 2010 1:26 AM in response to Rich2k

I would like to believe that but the area in question is too isolated. If it only happened when holding my entire palm against that side of the phone I might agree. If someone can find a single small spot on the other phones that is in the same place for all of them that cause the issue I'll agree with you. The fact that I can place just my pinky finger over the black divider and cause the issue tells me that creating a connection between those 2 antennas is the source of the problem. It is the same exact spot for everyone. It is even marked haha. If the spot wasn't on the line or was in random spots on different phones it would be different.

Jun 25, 2010 2:08 AM in response to Cory Jackson

Is there anyone here who actually holds the iPhone in the manner shown in movies or photos where iPhone losing coverage?

I am a right-handed and I hold the iPhone in my right hand as I navigate with my thumb (iPhone lies on the hands and fingertips barely touching the left edge)

Sometimes I hold my iPhone in the left hand and navigate through my index finger of right hand, but it is highly unnatural and uncomfortable. (In such a way that the iPhone is kept on movies, where he loses in scope).

In conducting a conversation, try to keep the iPhone as the movies - this is highly uncomfortable and unnatural grip.

You can of course be tempted to hold the iPhone upside down, by the corners, or with your legs or even buttocks ... while the most comfortable, natural and optimal form of keeping the iPhone ensures the correct range.

Jun 25, 2010 2:41 AM in response to Cory Jackson

Actually the way to hold the phone was demonstrated by STeve Jobs when it was launched. Unfortunately the way he held it according to Apples response was incorrect. When surfing the web say you naturally hold it in your left hand even if you are right handed, because you use your right hand to toucvh the screen.

This means this could be a much larger problem as it does not effect just left handed user. Right handed user will be effected if they are not using as a phone.

ATTENTION: There is a fix to iPhone 4 Reception problem.
Get some sticky tape and apply it so it cover the and bridges the joint. This minimises the amount of skin contact on that part of the phone by insulating it.

The only permanent solution would be for Apple to redesign the steel ring, so that the two joints are located both side near the top of the phone. Does that mean Apple has to recall the phone!

Signal issues? You're holding the phone wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.