Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad typing on it's own and moving between pages

My iPad is typing on it's own! It's "glitchy" in that it moved from one screen to the next without me touching it...like it's possessed! It moved itself to the search screen and started tying random letters, I actually see the letters on the keyboard being punched in I'm freaking out...this seems to be the mother glove...help!,, thanks

pS doesn't do it all the time, just when it wants to. Also I've cut off and on, and tried to sync with itunes

Dell, 3g

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 12:18 PM

Ok that's about the dumbest thing I've seen about this. If you have no serious solution, then stop wasting people's time. I have the same issue with random page changes, typing, etc. It is a known hardware problem and Apple can't help any of us that have it. Their solution is to replace the iPad. Rebooting and resetting the iPad does not solve the problem. It is the failure within the touchscreen layers that is not visible with the naked eye.

117 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 12:18 PM in response to japamac

Ok that's about the dumbest thing I've seen about this. If you have no serious solution, then stop wasting people's time. I have the same issue with random page changes, typing, etc. It is a known hardware problem and Apple can't help any of us that have it. Their solution is to replace the iPad. Rebooting and resetting the iPad does not solve the problem. It is the failure within the touchscreen layers that is not visible with the naked eye.

Sep 9, 2010 2:22 AM in response to Ejack3

Hours ago I have the same phenomenon happened in my iPad. I speculate that it might have something to do with the accelerometer as when I tilt my iPad in certain position, the poltergeist comes back to haunt my iPad. Keyboard keeps appearing and auto-swipe which results in hanging in between 2 pages. Restarting and cleaning the screen doesn't help.

Apr 27, 2017 2:47 AM in response to bill-glasgow

Guys, I know exactly what is wrong with your iPads. I had this "iPad Exorcism" for 3 months, desperately trying to find out how to fix it. If I tried to type sometimes the iPad freaked out and started to put multiple letters and other letters i was pressing. It also launched programs without me doing anything..

Turning off iPad helped for a short period of time but the problem always came back totally randomly.

I tried desperately to find the cause of this by reseting the iPad etc.. The truth is that no iOS update / software will fix this because the problem is in the hardware. I took my iPad back to the store this weeks monday and showed the problem there and they said that my unit definately had faulty processor or faulty touchscreen. They took my old iPad and replaced it with a new unit, which is working 100% without any problems.

So my recommendation is don't waste your time, backup your iPads and take it to the nearest Apple certified repair store and show the problem to them and they should replace your iPad to a new one.

Message was edited by: devastat

Jan 13, 2017 2:50 PM in response to Ejack3

Yeah dude, my iPad Mini does that too. If im playing Roblox, the screen will start glitching and typing random things. It actually was glitching about 20 minutes ago. It actually started a face time call with my dad. XD I don't know why it does that. I wish I could figure out how to fix it. I hope one of you guys can figure this out. Thanks!

Jan 26, 2017 9:59 PM in response to Ejack3

The exact same thing has happened to me when I try to unlock my iPad the keys get pressed on there own and I get disabled it happens a lot then once when my mum tried it it worked but when I went to snapchat it took its own photo and just typed gggg and sent it to my story. It changes to different pages on my safari and it chooses different YouTube videos. I'm still trying to find out how to fix it.

Aug 14, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Ejack3

I'm having the exact same problem. At first, all that was happening was that the iPad was activating Siri on its own with earphones plugged in. Then this morning after I spilt a small amount of coffee on the laptop case I have, letters stopped working, and either the letter e or the number 5 would type over and over again. Figuring the problem was the keyboard, I took the iPad out. And that's how I got to the dilemma I have now. My iPad put itself in sleep mode, and then awoke again to the unlock screen. Before I could put in the code, it rapidly pressed buttons so that the code was wrong. Until my iPad started getting disabled. I waited a minute, same thing happened. I could not swipe to power off, so I figured the screen was dirty. So I cleaned it. Still would not turn off. Then my iPad was no longer disabled, and then the SAME THING happened, and now my iPad is disabled for 15 minutes. I was able to power it down, but I'm scared this will happen again. HELP!

Sep 12, 2017 3:32 PM in response to Alfie's Mom

Hello, So here @ Easy Computer Solutions in Chula Vista / San Diego Have run into this issue a number of times. Some of the times it can be a logic board issue, But the most common culprit is the Digitizer at times we noticed that replacing the digitizer fixes this issue. Check out our site @ www.easycomputersolutions.net if you have any further questions.

Jul 2, 2010 4:58 PM in response to Ejack3

I'm having the same problem where apps are opening on their own, safari windows close on their own, and other random scrolling occurs. Not sure if it's software or hardware related... or maybe it's related to the Zagg invisible shield I put over the screen. I haven't taken it off yet but was curious if anyone else with the problem also has a screen protector on as well.

iPad typing on it's own and moving between pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.