Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Screen Scratching

Hi-

I have kept my new iPhone 4 in my pocket with NOTHING SHARP...no keys, no pins...nothing. And I already have a few fine scratches on a supposedly "chemically strengthened and 20x harder than plastic screen".

Has anybody else had this problem?

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 4:48 PM

146 replies

Jul 11, 2010 4:27 PM in response to SkyGuy79

I take super-good care of my iPhone 4. Today, I put a business card - yes, business card - in my shirt pocket with my iPhone. The "scratch resistant" screen is now scratched. What good is a beautiful display if it is easily scratched by something insignificant as a business card? Calling the screen "scratch resistant" borders on false advertising.

Now I have a scratched screen when I literally did nothing wrong, and the warranty doesn't cover scratches. Now what?

Maybe it's time to sell the iPhone and find a more durable product.

Jul 13, 2010 12:44 PM in response to SkyGuy79

The back of my iphone 4 is scratched too with normal use. I've had the phone since the 2G and never had to deal withthe glass being scratched with the way I use it. I think it's another flaw. 20x harder than plastic - and claiming it's scratch resistent - you shouldn't be getting hair line scratches like I got.

So yes the new iphone is prone to scratches.

Jul 13, 2010 11:02 PM in response to SkyGuy79

I am having the same problem. I have had my phone for only 10 days and have many scratches on both the front and back. I also keep my phone in my pocket with absolutly nothing else. I owned a 3G for over a year and never got a single scratch on the screen and I also know several other people with the iPhone 4 and none of them have scratches on the front. And very few on the back that are much more minor than mine. I believe that my phone may be defective as well as yours. I would like to know if you find any solution to this problem

Jul 15, 2010 8:14 AM in response to SkyGuy79

I was pretty upset when I looked down the other day and saw the screen has 3 very slight scratches and one larger (but still relatively minor) scratch that spanned from side to side. I always keep it in my pocket with absolutely nothing else in it... ever. And if it does need to be sat down somewhere, I will place it screen side up on a dresser or something similar. What's sad is that the backside has NO scratches, but the front does. I have owned the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and the iPhone 3GS... and each and every one I have NEVER scratched the screen... so that goes to show the difference with this "new & improved" screen.

Jul 15, 2010 8:22 AM in response to SkyGuy79

I really don't understand how people find ways to scratch the phone. I had a 3GS from the day it came out until the day the iPhone 4 came out and I carried it in my pocket everyday and never had a single scratch on the glass with no protector. I have been carrying the iPhone 4 in my pocket with no protectors on the front or back and have zero scratches. I do use fabric softener on my clothes so maybe that is the key.

iPhone 4 Screen Scratching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.