Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos lost after syncing iphone 4????

Hi,
I just synced my iphone from my backup of my last iphone 3gs and the photos that I took on my new iphone are GONE!!! What happened to them? They were very special pictures---they were of my future sister-in-law in her wedding gown 😟 Please, Please help me retrieve them!!

Thanks
Mary 🙂

Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 6:35 PM

If you have a previous backup with those photos on their you can restore from that backup. If you don't, sorry there isn't anything you can do.
26 replies

Jun 28, 2010 6:54 PM in response to citislicker

You said you took them with your new iPhone correct? Did you take the photos before or after you synced from backup from your old phone? If you did it before you synced with your old phone's backup then the photos are likely gone because when you synced it, it erases what is on the phone and uses the backup. If the photos were taken after the syncing then it shouldn't have been erased.

If you took the photos before the syncing and then connected your phone to iTunes to sync it, then it should have created a new backup of the iPhone 4 before it synced the backup of the old phone. Open up iTunes and then click on Edit, then Preferences, then click the Devices tab and see if there is a backup from your iPhone 4. If there is, and you haven't backed up your iPhone 4 since it was synced then the backup would have those photos. So what you would need to do is restore from that backup. which would erase what is on the phone now, but you need to do it without it making a backup of your current iPhone again. Once you do that you will lose that previous backup I think. I'm not sure of the procedure to restore it from the other backup without it making a new backup. whenever I sync my iPhone it always creates a new backup. There must be a way to stop it.

After you figure that out and restore from your iPhone 4 backup that has the photos, you will want to get those photos off your phone. You can either email them to yourself or when you connect to your phone to your computer it should give you a pop up asking what you want to do with the photos. At that time you can click on the open or view files and then copy and paste them to another folder on your computer. Then you can always get them back into your phone by syncing it with iTunes. Then after you get the photos off your phone, if you want you can restore it from the backup again of the 3G phone and then start over again.

Aug 10, 2010 5:01 PM in response to LeannaP

Same happened with me "Photos lost after syncing iphone 4"....

i check in itunes and didn't find backup of iphone4
there are old iphone backups.....any body knows help please
where are those photos lost...all should be on drive i think

do any body know who to read root folder of iphone4 ????

Aug 10, 2010 5:07 PM in response to citislicker

There's no such thing as syncing with a previous backup--you can only restore your phone with a previous backup.

Based on what you have described, you restored your iPhone with an existing backup from your iPhone 3GS without doing a backup first (or allowing it to finish). In other words, you wiped your phone to restore another backup--not good.

If you have a backup on your machine from the iPhone 4 prior to when you restored it with the 3GS backup, you might luck out and just re-restore it again but no guarantee.

Aug 11, 2010 4:36 AM in response to citislicker

Seeing that your using a Mac you need to back up all your photos into either iPhoto or Aperture.
Try to locate the backup from your user library then iTunes then mobile backups.
Hope this helps, same thing happened to me, I forgot to backup important photos into iPhoto and when I received my replacement iPhone they were gone 😟
I think a backup only backups the phones state like SMS messages, folders, apps etc, not sure about photos because if it is sync to your iPhoto library then once you reinstall it is going to try to locate those photos in your iPhoto library which are not there

Aug 11, 2010 9:39 AM in response to dthomas86

No i'm using windows 7, there were photos in camera roll n i just plug my iphone4 first time with itunes, it give two option either set a new iphone or restore from old one, as i have all my things in 3g backup thats y i restore it with it and then my iphone4 photos disappear!!!!

Please any body know what happened to those pics!!!!

Feb 27, 2011 1:04 PM in response to aami

Hi. I guess I am too late to ask this. But I recently bought the iPhone 4 and used it to take pictures. I made the biggest mistake of not syncing it first to my iTunes before I used it. So when I did sync it, the pictures that I took before syncing were all gone. These were pictures of my family's first Mardi Gras in Galveston and my kids just had so much fun I would want to retrieve the pictures. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Feb 28, 2011 3:49 AM in response to aami

When you restored your iPhone 4 using the iPhone 3G backup, all photos on the iPhone 4 were deleted, and replaced by the photos on you iPhone 3G (if there were any) if the restore process went well.

By the way, how did you even use your iPhone (even as a camera) with first activating it in iTunes? Did you activate the iPhone 4 on a different computer?

May 10, 2011 2:29 PM in response to citislicker

Me too!! Feel very silly that I didn't think about this before. But would those photos be stored anywhere on the phone or are they gone forever?

I lost my iPhone, got a replacement while I was on holiday, had it activated in the Vodafone shop, took some important photos before syncing it with my iTunes and restoring the previous backup from my old iPhone -- not thinking that the latest photos would just disappear.

Help - am I totally stuck?

Photos lost after syncing iphone 4????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.