Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 1611 support please!

First off, this is a brand new ipod without anything on it, whilst it was syncing the first time my computer crashed and i removed the usb without clicking disconnect.

After it booted up, i tried connecting my ipod and it gave me a message telling me i needed to restore it to factory settings, then i was transfering data from a usb to the computer (Unrelated but important is to why) pulled it out to try the other one without looking to see if the restore was complete or doing thing i pulled the cable out disconnecting the ipod.

Now whenever i try restore it won't get past preparing ipod for restore, it got to verifying ipod restoration once but it was hanging on it for about 20 mins then gave me 1611.

Please help, its a brand new ipod without anything at all on it...
I also assume its the latest OS

iPod Touch, iPhone OS 3.1.3, Error 1611

Posted on Jun 28, 2010 5:58 PM

21 replies

Jul 18, 2010 2:52 AM in response to Thalmeiers

I had the same problem and tried all the suggestions I could find on this forum, none of which worked. I had recently upgraded my mac to snow leopard and my ipod to the latest OS too and that is when the trouble strted, exactly as you described.

However, two nights ago I found the following article and follwed it step by step and it has resolved to error 1611 issue and my ipod is now working normally on my mac.

I had been worried that by deleting itunes and downloading the latest version I would lose my music, apps and everything but that didn't happen. After doing the steps below and restoring my ipod everything was still in the new itunes and after syncing it was all back on the ipod as before.

It takes a while to go through the procedure and for a non techie like me it did feel quite intimidating but as long as you follow it to the letter it was not so bad!

Good luck and here are the steps to follow:

1. Disconnect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod from the Mac.
2. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
3. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash.
4. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
5. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
6. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
7. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
8. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
9. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the administrator password.
Note: This file may not be present in Mac OS X v10.6 and later; skip to the next step if this is the case.
10. Restart the computer.
11. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.
12. Download and install the current version of iTunes.
13. Connect your device to the Mac again and open iTunes
14. Sync your ipod.

Apr 12, 2011 9:20 PM in response to Thalmeiers

I just had this error (1611) after iTunes tried to install the latest iOS update on my iPod Touch (4th gen). Basically, I had two errors one after another. First being the iOS update and when that didn't work, it gave me another error of "cannot restore". I am running under Windows 7 64-bit (don't forget that there is an iTunes ver. solely for 64-Bit Windows OS besides the main page where you usually download iTunes) and my iTunes is updated. Hopefully, this would also work on Vista OS.

I turned to Google for solutions, even pointed me at a few Youtube videos that didn't really make sense. So I improvised:

1) Uninstall iTunes. (you don't need to disable (run: services.msc) active running Apple services in the background) If it asks you that "in order to complete the uninstallation process, you have to restart, pick: NO. You can restart your system manually cause' you still have a few more things to do.
2) If you have an optimization program (I use Auslogics Boostspeed and CCleaner for instance), run it. Be sure to sweep the registries iTunes may leave behind.
3) Now, restart.
4) Reinstall iTunes. If you're running a 64-bit, make sure you download the 64-bit, not the 32-bit.
5) Once done re-installing, run iTunes.
6) Plug-in your iOS device. It's going to ask you that you need to restore it first before you can update to the latest iOS version.

These steps worked for me. I can only hope that it would also work on other people's dilemma.

note: This WASN'T the first time this happened to me. During my first (this would be my second) iOS update, I got an error concerning with iTunes having trouble installing it. I forgot which error code# it was. I resorted to googling different webpages that relates to the problem I had at the time.

I'm not going to whine but I think Apple customers deserve better satisfaction after spending $$$ on their products whenever FREQUENT troubleshooting that comes from a myriad of users are reported everyday.

Now I'm AFRAID that when my iPod prompts me for a new update, I'm hesitant to do so because I'm afraid of having to run into this problem again.

Apr 29, 2011 5:35 PM in response to ionsquare

brand new iPod Touch 64 4th gen, working perfectly, did a restore all was absolutely fine -- iTunes (yeech! hate that clunky, awkward app -- it's UX ... what's a word that rhyms with ux but u can't use on the Apple forum cause it gets *** out here? Ok, a close enuff word is it "stinks!") asked if I wanted to update to the latest version of iOS 4.3.2 same cable, same connection, same computer as the previous restore. Stupid me said yes ... bang!!! one screwed up iPod, which now will not restore 1611 error, over & over -- thanks iTunes u piece o' crap!

I'll try your suggestions ionstore ... hopefully that works ... hi ho hi ho it's off to work i go ...a few more hours wasted

Jun 2, 2011 7:03 AM in response to Cobra Firefly

Ok I take that back, it's not working yet again. I followed these steps:

1. Disconnect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod from the Mac.

2. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.

3. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash.

4. Choose Go > Go to Folder.

5. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.

6. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.

7. Choose Go > Go to Folder.

8. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.

9. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to theTrash. If prompted, authenticate with the administrator password.

Note: This file may not be present in Mac OS X v10.6 and later; skip to the next step if this is the case.

10. Restart the computer.

11. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.

12. Download and install the current version of iTunes.

13. Connect your device to the Mac again and open iTunes

14. Sync your ipod.

And it worked! But the second time I went to plug in my iPod Touch, my computer won't recognize it. This has to be a Snow Leopard problem because this never happened before I installed it. I also checked to see if it would recognize my Digitalwave mp3 player and it doesn't show up either.

Can anyone please help? And before it gets posted, I have followed all the steps on the Apple trouble shooting page and it still doesn't work.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2011 1:01 PM in response to Thalmeiers

This is so frustrating! I can sync to another MAC (not running Snow Leopard) and it works fine. The minute I come back to the machine running SL and plug in my ipod it will not recognize it. So I force it into the sync mode, iTunes then recognized my iPod and starts to sync only to fail about halfway through with the 1611 Error.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP?

Error 1611 support please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.