Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video playback strange Noise (hissing) issue

Hi there,

i noticed a issue with my new iPhone 4 when i play videos which are made with the iphone 4.

The video's all have a noice i think you say hissing at the background! So the voices and all the other noises are recorded but there is always this hissing also in the background.

The next is, when i transfer the video the my imac...the noise (hissing) is gone. Clear sound as it should be!

I compared this bahavior with my old iPhone 3GS and with this iPhone there is no noise (hissing) at the background.

So do you thinks this is a Hardware Issue?

Thank you.

Johannes

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Jul 2, 2010 2:07 PM

53 replies

Jul 9, 2010 1:22 AM in response to KatnissEverdeen

The hardware is not faulty. It's the way the iPhone 4 was designed.

I'm an iPhone developer and through some casual testing I've concluded that the iPhone 4 is doing some kind of DSP processing on all audio output that goes through the speaker, boosting perceived volume through EQ as well as added reverb in certain situations. This is why a lot of non-musical audio sounds hissy, boxy, echoey. If in your software you reduced the software volume playback setting to about 0.35 (default is 0.5), the problem goes away dramatically. If you plug in headphones the problem goes away right away.

The speakers are unfortunately of lower quality than the 3GS. Through the DSP processing, some situations the audio will sound "better", "clearer" but it definitely lacks the authentic presence than the 3GS had.

Jul 9, 2010 3:11 PM in response to Seadart

I just tried using the mic built into the headset and the problem was not there. Retried with mic built into the phone and the problem is back. The mic built into the phone works fine when making a normal phone call unless I activate speakerphone. Phone mic does not operate with speakerphone. It has nothing to do with proximity sensitivity since it's away from my face and I can watch the mute indicator show off and on with no difference at either setting. So, the mic does work for normal call. Not a hardware problem. I have an audio spectrum program loaded and the mic seems to work for that too. Hopefully the first update will fix this

Jul 9, 2010 6:38 PM in response to KatnissEverdeen

I'm sure Apple could do something in software to alleviate the hissing.

In my application for example, I can make the iPhone4 and the 3GS sound more similar if I reduce the playback volume by 30% in software for the iPhone 4 speaker only. At this point both phones have approximately the same volume when the hardware volume is at maximum. But mysteriously the echoing and hissing also go down dramatically too on the iPhone 4.

Apple may consider this new sound a "feature" and not a problem, because this method does seem to make smaller sounds more audible from other audio sources like games and music. Also this problem only affects playback of audio sources that originally contain noise, like video capturing and the voice memo application. In other words, the new way has good and bad points, but in my person opinion I like the 3GS sound slightly better.

Video playback strange Noise (hissing) issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.