Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Range is Awful in iPhone 4

When I go to the gym, I used to be able to have good reception (no skips) when I put my iPhone 3GS in my pocket. Now, the phone has to be very close to get any kind of reception. To eliminate the possibility of my headphone (Motorola S305) going bad, I testing both my iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. The range in the iPhone 4 is significantly worse than the iPhone 3GS. I'm assuming this isn't something a software patch can fix yah?

Other OS, Windows 7 RTM (64bit)

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 8:39 AM

30 replies

Jul 5, 2010 4:15 PM in response to kingamoon

kingamoon wrote:
How is that the same as my situation? Did I mention anywhere anything about a car's bluetooth connection????

EXCUSE ME!. I thought you were ranting about a weak bluetooth receiver. I suspect your phone is closer to your headset than my phone is to the bluetooth receiver in my car.

AND ONCE AGAIN, IT WORKS FINE IN MY CAR.

Jul 5, 2010 4:23 PM in response to kingamoon

kingamoon wrote:
How is that the same as my situation? Did I mention anywhere anything about a car's bluetooth connection????

The point being made here is that there an infinite number of variables that have an effect on bluetooth transmitting and receiving. How do you know it's the iPhone 4, and telling me that your bluetooth receiver worked on some other device is not evidence that the iPhone 4 is the issue. It could be something at the gym that is interfering. It could be your bluetooth device is old and the iPhone 4 Bluetooth firmware is current. Or it could be one of dozens of other issues.

Blaming the iPhone 4 is rather lame.

Jul 5, 2010 6:55 PM in response to kingamoon

I am having the same issue!! So frustrating. I always use an earpice when I talk on the phone. I have a Jawbone ICON, which i've used with my 3GS, and a Samsung phone. With my iPhone 4, I get interference even if I put the phone in my pocket while on a call. I literally have to hold the phone in my hand to use the bluetooth. If I set it on the table and walk more than 5-6 feet away I start to get interference. I know it's not the earpiece because I can still get about a good 30-40 feet from my other 2 phones and not have any problems. I'm very upset with the manufacturing of this phone. For the record too, I also have the antenna issues of holding the phone and watching the bars drop.

Jul 6, 2010 4:44 AM in response to shobizz3000

I tested the Bluetooth sync with my nokia BH-504 headset this morning only to discover that I am also having terrible issues with Bluetooth on iPhone 4.

If I just hold the phone in front of me without touching the sides (to eliminate the death grip or any other antenna issue), I can be cut from the bluetooth (my headset looses the communication) at only 30 cm (around 1 feet) depending on the angle of the phone. Putting it in my pocket comes to the same conclusion - this feature is clearly not working.

This is not coming from the headset - I had no issue with my previous phone (nokia) and could go as far as 20 feet with walls without any problem. I also tested the bluetooth with a friend's iPod Touch and it was working fine.

I could bear the signal issue (placed some tape and significantly reduced the signal loss) but this is a big hit for me (I always have my headset synced up while walking or waiting in the bus). I was waiting to test the phone before deciding whether or not I return it but this might be the final blow.

I might be able to test this out on another iPhone 4. I'll post again if anyone cares.

Jul 6, 2010 4:50 AM in response to tomh1000

I notice no Bluetooth performance difference between my new ip4 and my old 3GS.

If anything, it improved for me. I can now walk all over my house with a good signal with the phone lying on my desk. Before (3GS) it would drop when I got to the kitchen two rooms away. Although the microwave oven will still take it out, if there is distance between the phone and headset (expected, btw). I am using a jawbone Icon.

Jul 6, 2010 6:36 AM in response to DCGOO

I have quickly tested the bluetooth on another iPhone 4 and it seemed to work nice with the same headset. I put the phone on the table and walked away (even behind a wall) and saw nothing like my previous issue.

I couldn't try putting it in my pocket but I think that this is a problem for some iPhones only so I recommend testing an other phone in store and asking for an exchange to those having the same issues with bluetooth.

Jul 13, 2010 5:40 PM in response to shobizz3000

I also have a new Jawbone icon that I am using with an iPhone 4. When I first purchased it, about a week ago, I had no problem. I also purchased the same for my wife's iPhone 4 and also no problem. Suddenly I lose my bluetooth connect just by putting the phone in my pocket.

Obviously something must have changed. I had a new gel case, so I took that off and tried again ... no change.

Then I remembered I had turned off wifi at home to save on the battery, so I turned it back on and ... BINGO ... suddenly it works fine again. No idea why ... just telling you my experience.

Bluetooth Range is Awful in iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.