Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages '09 and Word .docx files

While I have iWork 08, I tend to use Office for Mac 08 for compatibility reasons. Having bought an iPad and downloaded Pages for iPad I need to see whether Pages 09 will open .docx files from Word. Does anyone know? I have thought about the 30-day trial version of iWork, but suspect that might be problematical if I decide not to permanently proceed to iWork '09 (these trials are sometimes non-reverseable).

Thanks
Andy

iMac 27" i5 quad-core, iMac 2GHz Intel Duo, iPad 64Gb 3G & iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Airport Extreme and Airport Express

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 3:52 PM

49 replies

Jul 6, 2010 4:58 PM in response to Andy Faizey

There is nothing "non-reversable" about iWork '09 except any documents you create in it that haven't been saved in another format. The files to delete are the iWork ’09 folder from the main HD > Applications; the iWork ’09 folder in HD > Library > Application Support & the individual iWork application plist files found in HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences for each user..

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2010 2:13 AM in response to Peggy

Thanks for the reply Peggy, however I had forgotten that i tried iWork 09 trial last Summer when I looked at whether to upgrade or go to Office for Mac 08. So while I have been able to download the trial it says my trial is over. Have tried opening .docx files but the message reads file is in wrong format. I guess that answers my question.

Jul 7, 2010 5:43 AM in response to fruhulda

Fruhulda - that's really odd, as all I get is a message saying 'The file format is invalid'. Equally if I go into Help within Pages and type .docx it comes up with 'No results found'; which suggests to me it doesn't support .docx files. It has been suggested I try installing the OSX 10.6.4 Combo installer rather than software upgrade route - done that, made no difference.

Jul 7, 2010 7:14 AM in response to fruhulda

I've just downloaded the manual for Pages '08 and it only lists Word .doc files. Page 33 states:

'Importing a Document
You can create a new Pages document by importing a document created in another application, such as Microsoft Office 2007 or AppleWorks. Pages can import the following file formats: plain text (.txt), Rich Text Format (.rtf and .rtfd), AppleWorks 6 word processing (.cwk), and Microsoft Word (.doc).
As much as possible, Pages preserves the original document’s text, colors, layout, and other formatting options.
From Microsoft Word, you can import styles, tables, inline and floating objects, charts, footnotes and endnotes, bookmarks, hyperlinks, lists, sections, change tracking, and more.
From AppleWorks, you can only import word processing documents.'

Bear in mind I'm using Office for Mac 08 hence the .docx.

I'll have a closer look at Yvan's suggestion.

Jul 7, 2010 9:10 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Yvan - just sent you a .docx file to look at.

Incidentally, I have just downloaded from Mactopia, Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 1.1.5 which was released in June 2010 and said to convert Open XML files for earlier versions of Office for Mac (which made me think Pages could open them) but thus far to no avail.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx

Regards,
Andy

Jul 7, 2010 10:08 AM in response to Andy Faizey

Andy Faizey wrote:

but thus far to no avail.
Regards,
Andy

Could you explain what happens or not happens?

I have earlier versions of the converter and it works as it should. It converts the docx file to .rtf which can be opened in Pages too.

I think you should use the Onyx app and Repair permissions and clean up the databases. Then delete the com.apple.iwork.pages.plist file. Restart the computer and try again.

Pages '09 and Word .docx files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.