Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (2009-2011ish) chimes, lights up a grey screen then goes dark, turns off 10 seconds later

I've been given a dead iMac and I'd like to figure out what's wrong with it. All I know is that it's model A1311, which puts it in the 2009-2011 timeframe.

When I press the power button, a few seconds later I get the startup chime, then the display lights up with a grey screen and then goes dark again half a second later. About ten seconds after that, the iMac turns off.

Before it turns off, I shine a flashlight at the display and can see the Apple logo faintly in the center. I've tried connecting it to an external display, but the external display doesn't get any signal from it. I tried resetting SMC (easy - just pull the plug then plug it back in); no help. If I hold down Command-Option-P-R then it zaps PRAM and gives the startup chime again; this repeats as long as I hold down those keys, but it never gets any further.

I would suspect the inverter board, but why would the computer turn off ten seconds after I turn it on? Any other ideas as to what this could be?

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2018 6:51 AM

I've thought of some things that may help other people in this situation.

First, if you have a keyboard with a light that lights up when Caps Lock is on, you can use that to determine whether the computer is turned on and responsive. When the computer turns off, the light will go out; and If the computer is hung or powered off, then pressing Caps Lock will not change the state of the light. This is how I determined that the computer was turning itself off.

Second, I remembered that booting while I held down the Option key would bring up the menu to select a boot disk. My iMac's display still goes dark after half a second, but when I shine a flashlight on it I can make out the boot disk icon ... and the computer does not turn itself off. But as soon as I press the Return key to start booting from that disk, though, it turns itself off a few seconds later.

That turns one confusing problem into two simple ones: (1) the computer remains on and responsive even though the display is dark (this probably means it only needs a new inverter board), and (2) it turns itself off as soon as it tries to boot from the internal hard drive (this probably means it needs a new drive or a new OS install). I can fix these.

I hope this helps someone else!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2018 6:51 AM in response to Brian Kendig

I've thought of some things that may help other people in this situation.

First, if you have a keyboard with a light that lights up when Caps Lock is on, you can use that to determine whether the computer is turned on and responsive. When the computer turns off, the light will go out; and If the computer is hung or powered off, then pressing Caps Lock will not change the state of the light. This is how I determined that the computer was turning itself off.

Second, I remembered that booting while I held down the Option key would bring up the menu to select a boot disk. My iMac's display still goes dark after half a second, but when I shine a flashlight on it I can make out the boot disk icon ... and the computer does not turn itself off. But as soon as I press the Return key to start booting from that disk, though, it turns itself off a few seconds later.

That turns one confusing problem into two simple ones: (1) the computer remains on and responsive even though the display is dark (this probably means it only needs a new inverter board), and (2) it turns itself off as soon as it tries to boot from the internal hard drive (this probably means it needs a new drive or a new OS install). I can fix these.

I hope this helps someone else!

iMac (2009-2011ish) chimes, lights up a grey screen then goes dark, turns off 10 seconds later

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.