Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backup Fail

For some reason my iMac (2017 Retina 27") running Mojave 10.14.1 has been unable to backup using Time Machine. I am getting the following error message

Time Machine couldn't complete the backup to xxxxxx

An error occurred while copying files. The problem may be temporary. If

the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk.

I have done a disk repair using First Aid on my Mac and my external HD.

I have restarted my computer.

I have restarted my computer in Recovery Mode and then did a Disk Repair on both drives

Each time I finished the disk repair it showed no errors.

What is my next step to get my backups up and running again?

Posted on Dec 6, 2018 5:33 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 7, 2018 9:53 PM in response to Nostink

The External Hard Disk was something you chose and if you bought an inexpensive one like a Seagate or WD that has nothin to do with Apple or Time Machine. Time Machine is very reliable, however if you are going to use an external HD then buy quality and it will usually pay you back with reliability. Yes, they will all fail however quality tends to last longer.

Because all HD's fail, this is why it is EXTREMELY important to have redundant backups. Most experienced users on these forums use Time Machine and then create a bootable clone using an app such as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner, why because backups fail. I just had a almost 10 years old SuperDuper! clone backup drive fail and replaced it and SuperDuper! is back running, as is Time Machine.

Quality enclosures is a key too, a lot of experienced users on these forums only use OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series of External Hard Disk's due to their reliability and when the HD dies changing to a new HD is a 5 minute process.

If you are not familiar with them please click https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_USB

Dec 9, 2018 5:12 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the info. Right now I was fortunate enough to be able to get the HD replaced under warranty.

It is not always easy for everyone to purchase the best quality products so in my case, I buy the best I can afford at the time. I will definitely keep your recommendation in mind when I have the financial ability to buy a quality external HD so that I can clone my system.

Time Machine Backup Fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.