Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp - - - - - No MAC OS any more !!!!

I attempted to install Windows 10 on my IMAC,

following the instructions in BootCamp.

After more or less 2 days work, (most of the time waiting for downloads

and install procedures), it was completed.

Windows seems to work flawlessly.

But I can not boot into MAC OS !

On the road, I had some issues that might be important to know.

I allocated 100 GB for windows, 300 GB used by MAC OS

(totally appr. 1 TB).

1.  The partitioning took very long time, the "progress meter"

was reporting up and down, with a maximum of over 2000 minutes.

I think this indicates a problem !

The process terminated with a message "No place to store

the Support Software".

2. BootCamp attemted to remove the partion.

I waited for 1+ hour and terminated it.

It might be a stupid action !

3. At the third attempt, Windows started installation

and completed.  I did some configuration and setup.

4. After a few power off/on and restarts, ending in Windows,

I could not use the wireless keyboard any more, I could not submitt my password !

I connected an old DELL Windows keyboard.

5. I tried to boot up into MAC OS by pressing the "Options key

at power on, always booted up into Windows.

6. BootCamp Windows can only see "disk 1 Windows".

Not possible to boot into MAC OS from there.

The sole purpose of installing Windows was to be able to run a resource

hungry simulator that runs under Windows only.

I want my IMAC back, please advice me !

I have no problems with doing "more advanced" things, I have a very long experience

using different types of computers (but no MACs).

Thanks !

-------------------------------------------------

IMAC 21.5", 3 months old.

Mojave with latest update.

Installed Win 10 Home :  Version 1809, OS Build 17763.134

BootCamp in Windows :   V6.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2018 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 6:34 AM

Q: "Where can I find the different commands to be issued at  MAC OS boot,

like Command/R (starting up in Recovery etc), for a Windows USB keyboard?"

A: The equivalent to the Mac "command" key on a Windows keyboard is the "Windows-key", i.e. the key with a MS Windows logo on it. Hence, in order to start your computer using a Windows USB keyboard, pressing and holding (!) the "Windows key" and "R" key, immediately from start. Booting from the Recovery partition might take longer than a "usual" startup, so you might have to keep the Windows+R keys pressed for a minute or two before it properly boots into recovery mode.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2018 6:34 AM in response to PerLinden

Q: "Where can I find the different commands to be issued at  MAC OS boot,

like Command/R (starting up in Recovery etc), for a Windows USB keyboard?"

A: The equivalent to the Mac "command" key on a Windows keyboard is the "Windows-key", i.e. the key with a MS Windows logo on it. Hence, in order to start your computer using a Windows USB keyboard, pressing and holding (!) the "Windows key" and "R" key, immediately from start. Booting from the Recovery partition might take longer than a "usual" startup, so you might have to keep the Windows+R keys pressed for a minute or two before it properly boots into recovery mode.

Dec 9, 2018 6:14 AM in response to PerLinden

Hello PerLinden,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you aren't able to boot into your macOS drive any longer. I can help with this. I suggest you start up in Recovery and use Disk Utility to check your disk and partitions. Here's an article to help with this.

Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Repair a disk using Disk Utility on Mac
Disk Utility can fix certain disk problems—for example, multiple apps quit unexpectedly, a file is corrupted, an external device doesn’t work properly, or your computer won’t start up.
This topic describes how to repair the disk that started up your Mac. If you’re having trouble with another disk, you can repair it with fewer steps. See Verify a disk.
WARNING: To prevent the loss of data on your Fusion Drive, don’t connect it to a Mac that’s using a version of OS X earlier than 10.8.5. See the Apple Support article Only connect OS X Mavericks Fusion drives to OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.5 or later.
Print this page so you can refer to it later. (You don’t have access to the Disk Utility User Guide when you restart your computer in the next step.)
In the Disk Utility User Guide window, click the Share button , then choose Print.
Choose Apple menu  > Restart. After your Mac restarts (some Mac computers play a startup sound), press and hold the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears, then release the keys.
Click Disk Utility, then click Continue.
Choose View > Show All Devices.
In the sidebar, select the disk you want to repair.
Click the First Aid button .
If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back up your data and replace the disk. You can’t repair it. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
Click Run.
If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done. You can click Show Details to see more information about the repairs. Otherwise, you may need to do one of the following.
If Disk Utility reports “overlapped extent allocation” errors, two or more files occupy the same space on your disk, and at least one of them is likely to be corrupted. You need to check each file in the list of affected files. Most of the files in the list have aliases in a DamagedFiles folder at the top level of your disk.
If you can replace a file or re-create it, delete it.
If it contains information you need, open it and examine its data to make sure it hasn’t been corrupted.
If Disk Utility can’t repair your disk or it reports “The underlying task reported failure,” try to repair the disk or partition again. If that doesn’t work, back up as much of your data as possible, reformat the disk, reinstall macOS, then restore your backed-up data.
If your Mac has a Fusion Drive and you see a flashing question mark or alert, see the troubleshooting section of the Apple Support article About Fusion Drive, a storage option for some Mac computers.
If you continue to have problems with your disk or it can’t be repaired, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced. For information about servicing your Mac, see Find out how to service or repair your Mac.

Take care.

Dec 9, 2018 7:30 AM in response to PerLinden

You have several different issues.

To switch back to macOS from Windows on a 2018 Mac, the Bootcamp Control Panel on the Windows side should work. You can also try the steps shown in Switch between Windows and macOS with Boot Camp - Apple Support .

The Bootcamp drivers were not correctly installed, if you are having issues with Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad on a 2018 iMac.

Dec 16, 2018 7:00 AM in response to PerLinden

5. I can NOT start MAC OS from within Windows 10, there is (still) only one partition in Windows Boot Camp (Windows).
This is a minor problem, as I can use Command/R.

AppleControlPanel.exe is either not installed or is not functional. on a 2018 Mac, it helps recognize and APFS Macintosh HD as a bootable volume. Older Macs do not have the same capability. For example, see when are boot camp drivers going to be up… - Apple Community as an example.

The Apple wireless "Magic Keyboard" is not visible or detectable under neither MAC OS nor Windows.
The Magic Mouse works properly, so the Bluetooth Hw should be OK.
And yes, the KBD is fully charged.
And I can use a USB keyboard.

Did this keyboard work properly at any time in the past?

Dec 17, 2018 2:31 AM in response to PerLinden

Loner T's hints about SMC and NVRAM (and PRAM, when used) are good. For more information about how to reset the SMC, please see How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support, and for your particular Mac model specifically the paragraph named "How to reset the SMC on Mac desktop computers" on that page. For information about how to reset NVRAM/PRAM, please see Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

If resetting any of them, it's often best to reset them both; first the SMC and then the NVRAM. Doing so may occasionally do wonders, even though most often it will not help at all. In either case it only takes a few minutes and as far as I know will never do any harm, so please go ahead and try it.

Best of luck!

–Tommy Kronkvist

Dec 16, 2018 5:05 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks Kronkvist, for "Windows R", helped me a lot !

1. I can boot up into MAC OS Recovery Mode.
  2. Using Disk Utility/First Aid, I could see that all partitions (BOOT CAMP excluded) were healthy, thanks for that !
  3. There were 2 partions in Start Up Disk.
  4. I could start Windows as well as MAC OS from there. MAC OS is default.
  5. I can NOT start MAC OS from within Windows 10, there is (still) only one partition in Windows Boot Camp (Windows).

This is a minor problem, as I can use Command/R.

The Apple wireless "Magic Keyboard" is not visible or detectable under neither MAC OS nor Windows.

The Magic Mouse works properly, so the Bluetooth Hw should be OK.

And yes, the KBD is fully charged.

And I can use a USB keyboard.

I will bring the keyboard to an Apple Store to find out if it is faulty.

Thanks for help !

Dec 14, 2018 6:00 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for comments on my problem !

However, this seems to be a Catch 22 case, altogether !

All actions proposed require that I can boot up in Mojave,

which I can NOT, like I tried to explain in this thread.

You say that Boot Camp (in Windows 10) "should work",

if the drivers are properly installed.

Only one partition is visible in Boot Camp, namely Windows.

A. Thus I should reinstall Boot Camp and its drivers.

There is no Install or Setup in my Boot Camp folder (still Windows).

Where can I find installable and compatible software for (Windows 10) Boot Camp ?

B.  Where can I find the different commands to be issued at  MAC OS boot,

like Command/R (starting up in Recovery etc), for a Windows USB keyboard ?

My wireless IMAC keybord is not working in Windows, although Device Manager

lists the wireless keyboard and states that the driver is up to date.

I thus need to have an alternative when trying to boot MAC OS (there is

a problem with my wireless keyboard).

C.  In the worst of scenarios, Boot Camp (in cooperation with Windows install)

has owerwritten may MAC OS partition or/and made the boot record corrupt.

How can I see (in Windows or otherwise) that the partitions exist and are "healthy" ?

I have checked with Windows System Tools an EASUS Partition Manager, but I

can not interpret the information.

D.  I am surprised that I have not found something like BIOS

for a PC in the IMAC.

How is the software/OS installed on a "virgin IMAC", direct from the production line ?

So, what am I supposed to do ?

Best Regards

Dec 16, 2018 5:42 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks Lone T !

I will check the referred Apple docs on Bootcamp later !

Yes, the Apple Wireless KBD worked all the time from when I got the IMAC and up to

and including the install of Windows 10.

After some failed attempts to boot into MAC OS, the KBD seemed totally "dead".

Now, when I can boot into MAC OS, it can not be detected in MAC OS or Windows 10.

Dec 16, 2018 6:43 PM in response to PerLinden

After some failed attempts to boot into MAC OS, the KBD seemed totally "dead". Now, when I can boot into MAC OS, it can not be detected in MAC OS or Windows 10.

As a test can you reset the SMC and NVRAM and test if the Keyboard will connect. Also, if it is already available in BT preferences, remove it from System Preferences -> Bluetooth and try to re-pair it and test.

Dec 22, 2018 4:56 AM in response to Kronkvist

Thanks Kronkvist. (Swedish like me ?) and Loner T !

Reset SMC is basically pulling the plug for at least 20 seconds as per my understanding.

After that, IMAC could see my Magic Keyboard (Settings/Keyboard).

It could however not connect it, gave up after say 30 seconds.

After a few attempts to reset NVRAM (Windows + P +R and Windows + Ctrl + P + R on a Windows USB Kbd)

with no signs of a succesful reset, the keyboard once again disappeared from Settings/Keyboard.

I went back to basics and checked how the keyboard is supposed to be installed (I never did that myself

because the IMAC was a birthday present).

Simply connect it to a USB port . . . . . and then the Kbd got installed automatically as a Bluetooth device.

Remains to make a proper install of the drivers in Windows 10.

Thank You !

Dec 22, 2018 10:19 AM in response to PerLinden

Yes Per, I'm Swedish. To be precise I am "finlandssvensk" i.e. born in Finland but Swedish is my mother-tongue. My family moved from "proper" Sweden to Finland (then belonging to Sweden) back in 1637 and has always kept Swedish as our mother-tongue. As I said I was born in Finland but I was only nine years old when my parents and I moved to Sweden (i.e. as båtflykting by Viking Line...) I now live in Uppsala but in Finland I was living in a town called Jakobstad (named after the Swedish count/"greve" Jakob De la Gardie) and during the nine years i lived there I only heard Finnish may be four or five times: everyone in the town primarily spoke Swedish. As a result I still can't speak any Finnish – except for swearing and ordering food at a restaurant... ;-)

As for Magic Keyboard and Windows 10 drivers, perhaps this may be a solution? Please note that the software on the linked page isn't free (although a free trial is available) and that I have NOT tried nor bought the software myself. Hence this is not really a recommendation on my behalf: it's merely a friendly hint until Apple's own drivers are updated. :-)

Jan 1, 2019 12:51 AM in response to Kronkvist

Thanks, Kronkvist, for the tip on Magic Utilities !

And I wish you a happy 2019 !

However, I think this issue should be possible to solve within the Apple Domain !

If you are "krigsbarn", you are probably in my age (born -44).

One of my playmates from my childhood, Laila, was one of the many children that came here after the war.

Take care !

Jan 1, 2019 1:26 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks Loner T !

The Magic Kbd works correctly (wireless) !

However, when I exit Windows 10, it gets disconnected from the IMAC.

As there (still) is no Mac OS partition visible in Windows Bootcamp, I need to reboot by connecting a Windows USB Kbd

and Command + R (Windows + R on the USB Kbd), and restart using the (now visible) Mac OS partition.

You said earlier that this problem (no Mac OS partition in Windows) is due to incorrectly installed drivers.

I have searched for some time for these drivers, nowhere to find !

The only reference I get is the Boot Camp Assistant, that has got an option for loading the drivers.

In Mojave 10.14.2, Boot Camp Assistant is replaced by Boot Camp, that does NOT have this option.

So, please, where can I find these drivers ?

How do I correct this problem ?

Happy 2019 to you !

Boot Camp - - - - - No MAC OS any more !!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.