Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when are boot camp drivers going to be updated ?

it's been a while since high sierra came out.

i'm wondering when Apple plans to update the boot camp utility (windows side) to recognize the APFS partition .... so that it shows up as a selectable startup option ....

i am referring to the diamond-shaped boot camp button i have in the windows 10 taskbar.

macOS High Sierra (10.13), 2.0 GHz/16GB/256GB

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 6:03 PM

32 replies

Apr 28, 2018 8:15 PM in response to zero7404

after i renamed the 0.Apple_ISO file to Apple.ISO, i extracted it using 7zip.

i was able to find Bootcamp.msi, but when double-clicking it, this is what I see ....

User uploaded file

obviously the old version is installed and has to be removed first. but want to be sure i'm removing the correct 'app' ....

any ideas on which one specifically i should remove before proceeding with installing bootcamp.msi ?

Apr 28, 2018 7:59 PM in response to Loner T

here is the complete text following execution of brigadier.exe ....

C:\Users\name\Downloads>brigadier -m iMacPro1,1

Using Mac model: iMacPro1,1.

Model supported in package distribution file at http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/41/17/091-14331/br9prfd71k86fkwgx421ept 2s931s0bv2p/091-14331.English.dist.

Distribution 091-14331 supports the following models: iMacPro1,1.

Making directory C:\Users\name\Downloads\BootCamp-091-14331..

Fetching Boot Camp product at URL http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/41/17/091-14331/br9prfd71k86fkwgx421ept 2s931s0bv2p/BootCampESD.pkg.

100.0% 637059072 / 637054345 bytes

Extracting...

Calling 7-Zip command: C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe e -oc:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o -y c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\BootCampESD.pkg

7-Zip [64] 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18

Processing archive: c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\BootCampESD.pkg

Extracting Scripts

Extracting Payload

Extracting PackageInfo

Extracting Bom

Extracting [TOC].xml

Everything is Ok

Files: 5

Size: 637135692

Compressed: 637054345

Calling 7-Zip command: C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe e -oc:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o -y c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\Payload

Processing archive: c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\Payload

Extracting Payload~

Everything is Ok

Size: 636159488

Compressed: 637047101

Calling 7-Zip command: C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe e -oc:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o -y c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\Payload~

Processing archive: c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\Payload~

Extracting .

Extracting .\WINDOWS

Extracting .\WINDOWS\system64

Extracting .\WINDOWS\system64\AppleOSSMgr.exe.split

Extracting .\WINDOWS\system64\AppleOSSMgr.exe.split\en.lproj

Extracting .\WINDOWS\system64\AppleOSSMgr.exe.split\en.lproj\AppleOSSMgr.dll

Extracting .\WINDOWS\system64\AppleOSSMgr.exe

Extracting .\Library

Extracting .\Library\Application Support

Extracting .\Library\Application Support\BootCamp

Extracting .\Library\Application Support\BootCamp\WindowsSupport.dmg

Everything is Ok

Folders: 8

Files: 3

Size: 636157812

Compressed: 636159488

Calling 7-Zip command: C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe x -oC:\Users\name\Downloads\BootCamp-091-14331 -y c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\WindowsSupport.dmg

Processing archive: c:\users\name\appdata\local\temp\bootcamp-unpack_d93m9o\WindowsSupport.dmg

Extracting 0.Apple_ISO

Everything is Ok

Size: 1050873856

Compressed: 635919932

Done.

I cannot locate the Bootcamp.msi file.

some advice on what to do next ?

Apr 29, 2018 9:00 AM in response to Loner T

not sure whether you're asking if applecontrolpanel.exe is already installed in windows, or if it exists in the package i downloaded ?

in windows, "Boot Camp Services" by Apple, version 6.0.6136 is present in the list of apps installed.

at this point, i am wondering why this capability is available for the iMacPro1,1 model, but not for my macbook pro which is capable of using boot camp for dual boot purposes. it has been 6 months roughly since high sierra was released. the update has not been timely, I would say.

i thought apple was delivering boot camp updates via apple software update in windows, though i have yet to see that on my side.

Apr 29, 2018 9:43 AM in response to Loner T

as a sanity check, a few days ago i did insert a usb drive in macos and created a new bootcamp drivers package. it downloaded them, put them on the usb drive and i went into windows and hit the repair option that came up when i executed the setup.exe file.

i assumed it would have included the latest boot camp panel and apfs drivers.

im now supposing i was wrong in that assumption.

feels like im almost there, just need the right direction to fix the issue instead of wait for apple to push it via asu ....

Apr 29, 2018 2:14 PM in response to zero7404

sakman74 wrote:

it is working properly, it was a work-around solution .... but working.

Nice. Please remember to backup Windows and create a Windows System Restore point.

sakman74 wrote:

i suppose when macs move away from intel processors, we should expect that additional operating systems installed on a mac computer - such as windows - will become a thing of the past ....

Apple has transitioned from the PPC to Intel. Unless Intel has significant issues, there is not much on the horizon to switch to (including AMD), unless ARM is the path forward. If you recall, Windows NT had the ability to run on Alpha, MIPS, Intel, AMD, Itanium and dropped support and uses Intel or clones.

Apr 29, 2018 2:27 PM in response to Loner T

unfortunately, system restore did not work out. i got an error after the restore completed.

i also tried restoring from a windows system image, that did not complete successfully either.

if apple stays on intel or amd path, that would allow me to replace my late 2013 model with the latest and still keep the dual-boot functionality with windows, which i value.

Apr 29, 2018 2:32 PM in response to zero7404

sakman74 wrote:

unfortunately, system restore did not work out. i got an error after the restore completed.

i also tried restoring from a windows system image, that did not complete successfully either.

Was the System Restore intentional, because it was unnecessary, if everything was working normally?

sakman74 wrote:

if apple stays on intel or amd path, that would allow me to replace my late 2013 model with the latest and still keep the dual-boot functionality with windows, which i value.

I consider the 2013-2014 models better Macs than the 2015 and later models. Unless you need newer hardware, I suggest keeping the late 2013 models.

Apr 29, 2018 2:43 PM in response to Loner T

Loner T wrote:

Was the System Restore intentional, because it was unnecessary, if everything was working normally?

it was intentional, because i had force uninstalled the boot camp control panel .... the diamond kept loading at windows startup but was not functional. at some point i had also lost my trackpad right click function by uninstalling the boot camp driver itself.

regardless, i was able to add it back and works.

Loner T wrote:

I consider the 2013-2014 models better Macs than the 2015 and later models. Unless you need newer hardware, I suggest keeping the late 2013 models.

i agree. unfortunately tho .... faster hardware and better performance do not revisit along with the things that apple removes from previous generation products - as it moves forward. at some point in the next few years, i will need more computing power.

at that point, if i still want to continue with a new computer that runs macos, i would likely want another macbook pro.

Jun 4, 2018 7:58 AM in response to zero7404

Following along the thread, it seems like replacing "Apple Control Panel.exe" is all I need to do? I extracted and replaced just that file, but it's not showing me the OSX option. I'm not sure if it's not showing because I'm running the bootcamp partition with Fusion rather than directly booted to it, or if I need to do more. I'm trying to avoid booting windows directly until I know I have this working because the boot menu workaround to pick the OSX drive is unavailable to me and I'll be stuck having to beg IT to enter their coveted password to get back to OSX.

Jun 4, 2018 9:14 AM in response to Loner T

Sorry about the confusion. It's not a Fusion drive. I have Fusion using the bootcamp partition directly. It's handy when I need to do something in my bootcamp while I'm doing mac stuff rather than a full reboot when native hardware performance isn't needed. I definitely need to boot to native hardware sometimes, so I need to solve this APFS issue so I can get back to OSX since IT has the boot menu locked down. I was hoping to see the option appear even though I was in Fusion just as confirmation that I'd be able to see it when I do a true boot to hardware.

Just to confirm, extracting "Apple Control Panel.exe" is all I need for this to work? No other installs or files? It's risky to "test" by booting to bootcamp because if it doesn't work I have to grovel and beg with IT to enter their password so I can get to the boot menu.

when are boot camp drivers going to be updated ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.