Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule will not appear in Airport Utility and flashes amber

Following a power recycle and change of internet router, my Time Capsule will not appear in Airport Utility and flashes amber. I've tried the other fix on here involving setting iPv6 connections to Link Local only - no change.

Any ideas? I'd really like to retain the info on my Time Capsule, rather than factory reset!

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 6:40 AM

Following a power recycle and change of internet router, my Time Capsule will not appear in Airport Utility and flashes amber.

This is normal and expected. The Time Capsule is still programmed with the specific settings that it needs to connect to your "old" router. So, it is looking for your old router which is no longer there, cannot find it, and does not know what to do.

The solution is to perform a Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset and then set up the Time Capsule again from scratch, so that it will detect and pick up the new specific settings that it needs from your "new" router.

A Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset will not affect any of the stored data on the Time Capsule, and you can use the same device name and passwords that you used before when you set up the Time Capsule again, if you wish.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2018 6:40 AM in response to Spugford

Following a power recycle and change of internet router, my Time Capsule will not appear in Airport Utility and flashes amber.

This is normal and expected. The Time Capsule is still programmed with the specific settings that it needs to connect to your "old" router. So, it is looking for your old router which is no longer there, cannot find it, and does not know what to do.

The solution is to perform a Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset and then set up the Time Capsule again from scratch, so that it will detect and pick up the new specific settings that it needs from your "new" router.

A Hard Reset or Factory Default Reset will not affect any of the stored data on the Time Capsule, and you can use the same device name and passwords that you used before when you set up the Time Capsule again, if you wish.

Dec 9, 2018 11:49 AM in response to Spugford

That is a network error and probably means your computer is having issues finding the TC.

What OS are you running on the computer?

Have you tried mounting the TC hard disk in Finder?

If that is possible create a folder named rubbish and copy a few files to it.. and then copy them back to your computer to make sure you actually have access to the TC.

Time Machine might also then need a redirection to the new location of the backup. Simply select a new target disk.. you do not need the old destination so refuse to use both.. TM will then say it is going to start a new backup but will find the TC and check the TM backup.. this can take a long time so be patient.. and will finally just do an incremental.

If you cannot actually mount the TC disk in Finder give us all the network info Bob requested.

Time Capsule will not appear in Airport Utility and flashes amber

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.