Time Capsule connection

Tell me, please, what could be the problem?

There is a Time Capsule 2TB, a U.S. model. If I connect it directly to the Internet (PPPoE connection), DHCP and NAT automatically turn on and the speed of WiFi and Ethernet at the output is not higher than 170 MB/s. If you connect it through another router (Huawei 7200), it works via DH What can this be related to? So Time Capsule cannot be used as a standalone device?

Time Capsule

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 11:21 AM

PPPoE capabilities on the Time Capsule are extremely limited.

Using an Ethernet connection and DHCP service from my modem.....not PPPoE......the Time Capsule checks out at about 325 Mbps when it is set up as a DHCP and NAT router. I have a 500 Mbps connection from my Internet Service Provider.

This 325 Mbps reading is about the same as I have seen in most test reports on the Time Capsule that appeared 6-7 years ago. 325-350 Mbps was not bad in 2013-2014. Very few routers were capable of providing 500 Mbps speeds at that time and there were very few Internet Service Providers that could deliver that level of speed at the time.

But......Apple never changed or improved the hardware in the Time Capsule from the time that it was introduced in 2013 to the time that it was discontinued in 2018. Thinking further..... if the Time Capsule was introduced in 2013, it was designed in the 2011-2012 timeframe using technology that was available at that time.

When DHCP and NAT are turned off, and the Time Capsule is set up in Bridge Mode, you could expect 700-800+ Mbps speeds over Ethernet and Wi-Fi, assuming your ISP can provide those numbers.

Yes, you will need to use the Time Capsule with another router if you want 500+ Mbps speeds from the Time Capsule.

But, if your other router is delivering 500+ Mbps speeds, I would use the other router for your network and connect the Time Capsule and use it only for Time Machine backups. In other words, turn off the Wi-Fi on the Time Capsule since you will be using that service from your other router.

Frankly, the Time Capsule is a decade behind at this point, technology wise.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 11:21 AM in response to hristikk

PPPoE capabilities on the Time Capsule are extremely limited.

Using an Ethernet connection and DHCP service from my modem.....not PPPoE......the Time Capsule checks out at about 325 Mbps when it is set up as a DHCP and NAT router. I have a 500 Mbps connection from my Internet Service Provider.

This 325 Mbps reading is about the same as I have seen in most test reports on the Time Capsule that appeared 6-7 years ago. 325-350 Mbps was not bad in 2013-2014. Very few routers were capable of providing 500 Mbps speeds at that time and there were very few Internet Service Providers that could deliver that level of speed at the time.

But......Apple never changed or improved the hardware in the Time Capsule from the time that it was introduced in 2013 to the time that it was discontinued in 2018. Thinking further..... if the Time Capsule was introduced in 2013, it was designed in the 2011-2012 timeframe using technology that was available at that time.

When DHCP and NAT are turned off, and the Time Capsule is set up in Bridge Mode, you could expect 700-800+ Mbps speeds over Ethernet and Wi-Fi, assuming your ISP can provide those numbers.

Yes, you will need to use the Time Capsule with another router if you want 500+ Mbps speeds from the Time Capsule.

But, if your other router is delivering 500+ Mbps speeds, I would use the other router for your network and connect the Time Capsule and use it only for Time Machine backups. In other words, turn off the Wi-Fi on the Time Capsule since you will be using that service from your other router.

Frankly, the Time Capsule is a decade behind at this point, technology wise.

Apr 22, 2023 6:43 AM in response to hristikk

Configured as a DHCP and NAT router, the Time Capsule is capable of about 325-350 Mbps......not MBps. 325-350 Mbps would be the same as about 40-43 MBps.

The 170 MBps number that you mention is the same as 1360 Mbps.

If you connect the Time Capsule to another router, you would need to make sure that the Router Mode setting of the Time Capsule was set to Bridge Mode, which Apple calls "Off (Bridge Mode)" because the routing function is turned off in Bridge Mode.

it works via DH

Sorry, I am not familiar with the term or abbreviation "DH". Can you provide more details on that? The Time Capsule can certainly function as a stand alone router when it is connected to a separate modem or a direct fibre connection.

But, since the Time Capsule was designed more than 8 years ago and discontinued 5 years ago, it won't compete very well against newer routers capable of much higher Internet speed.

Apr 22, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I'm sorry, the translator changed the text...Time capsule model A1470 for the USA.WiFi protocol a/b/g/n/ac.The operator provides a PPPoE connection.When connecting to the Internet directly, DHCP and NAT are automatically enabled.The connection speed reaches a maximum of 150-170 Mb/s.If I connect the Time Capsule via another router, then the Bridge is turned on and the connection speed reaches 500-600 Mb/s.Why is this happening.I have to use the Time Capsule only with another router, and not on my own(((

Time Capsule connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.