Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutdown after login

My MacBook Pro early 2015 boots fine then after putting password and hitting desktop it suddenly cuts out.

doesnt happen in safe mode

tried resetting smc and nv/pram no avail

attrmpted to boot into recovery, machine shuts down half way through loading

any ideas?

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 5:04 AM

In safe mode the computer is booted with a reduced set of drivers and no login items. Given that the problem occurred with a new account, it clearly wasn't your account's login items.

Your next step is either a visit to the Apple Store or (after backing up the computer) wiping the drive and reinstalling the operating system. If the problem is something you've installed or something corrupted you don't want to return it to your computer so I'd avoid restoring from a backup or migrating applications. It should be safe to migrate your account though.

To avoid wasting time, I'd suggest just reinstalling the OS and then playing with the computer for a while. If it seems okay use Migration Assistant to migrate your data and then manually reinstall your software.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2018 5:04 AM in response to dnbshaggy

In safe mode the computer is booted with a reduced set of drivers and no login items. Given that the problem occurred with a new account, it clearly wasn't your account's login items.

Your next step is either a visit to the Apple Store or (after backing up the computer) wiping the drive and reinstalling the operating system. If the problem is something you've installed or something corrupted you don't want to return it to your computer so I'd avoid restoring from a backup or migrating applications. It should be safe to migrate your account though.

To avoid wasting time, I'd suggest just reinstalling the OS and then playing with the computer for a while. If it seems okay use Migration Assistant to migrate your data and then manually reinstall your software.

Shutdown after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.