Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Genuine magsafe 2 Charger gone faulty

I have what looks like a brand new MD506B/B Apple 85W Magsafe 2 Power Adapter. Which was purchased as a separate item.

It has a serial number.

I do not have a reciept for it. It was in a white cellophane wrapped box. I have all the packaging.

After 2 weeks use it ceased working.

(U.K. Plug)

How can I prove it is still under warranty ? It was supplied with a second hand macBookPro as new.

The vendor has gone out of business.

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2018 8:05 AM

It should be covered under Apple’s hardware warranty if it is an actual Apple-branded product. Only Apple can make that determination and you will need to take it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Reseller to see if you can get a free replacement.

Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party. If a defect arises during the Warranty Period, Apple, at its option will (1) repair the Product at no charge using new parts or parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (2) exchange the Product with a product with equivalent functionality formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability or with your consent, a product that is at least functionally equivalent to the product it replaces, or (3) refund the original purchase price. This warranty excludes normal depletion of consumable parts such as batteries unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship and, damage resulting from abuse, accident, modifications, unauthorized repairs or other causes that are not defects in materials and workmanship.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2018 8:05 AM in response to equdos

It should be covered under Apple’s hardware warranty if it is an actual Apple-branded product. Only Apple can make that determination and you will need to take it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Reseller to see if you can get a free replacement.

Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party. If a defect arises during the Warranty Period, Apple, at its option will (1) repair the Product at no charge using new parts or parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, (2) exchange the Product with a product with equivalent functionality formed from new and/or previously used parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability or with your consent, a product that is at least functionally equivalent to the product it replaces, or (3) refund the original purchase price. This warranty excludes normal depletion of consumable parts such as batteries unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship and, damage resulting from abuse, accident, modifications, unauthorized repairs or other causes that are not defects in materials and workmanship.

Dec 9, 2018 9:47 AM in response to equdos

Every Mac comes with a one year hardware warranty when purchased. That warranty is associated with the device and not the owner so that if this device is less than a year old when you purchased it, it would still be valid and would cover the original power adapter that came with it.

To determine if the warranty is still valid, I suggest that you check here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Dec 11, 2018 5:06 AM in response to Tesserax

Your answer doesn't make any sense.

The charger was purchased brand new less than 6 weeks ago as a separate NEW item.

It is now dead and I only have a receipt for everything as a bundle. The business is no longer trading.

Surely the actual BRAND new charger has some kind of warranty longer than 30 days ? (I have a receipt for the whole system)

Without Apple being able to verify the serial number of the PSU to a date of manufacture I cannot prove the BRAND NEW chargers age, that is my point here. Can I return it to Apple and ask for a new one, which considering its age I should be able to do.???

Genuine magsafe 2 Charger gone faulty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.