Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fake or Genuine Magsafe 2?

Hey,

I just bought a 85W Magsafe 2 charger off eBay which was claimed to be Genuine, but there are a couple of very minor things that make me wonder whether it is genuine or fake. So was just wondering what your opinion is. I paid $99 for it, which is only about $20 cheaper than retail, so not a massive saving, but that did also include shipping.

The charger says it is manufactured by LiteOn Technology Corporation.

My concerns are:

1) All Apple chargers that I have seen show a serial number clearly on the unit in the same place (near where the power cord attaches - next to the silver connector). On the one I received, there was NO serial number there. However, if you look right inside where the pins are that the power lead attaches into it, there is a very small serial number in there. Does Apple do that (well the manufacturers they use)?

2) The product I received used a poor quality piece of plastic to coil the cable together - I haven't seen Apple use a piece of plastic like that before (because it looks cheap)

3) On the Magsafe 2 connector, there are scratches already over the connector, showing that it is likely not of the standard Apple quality. I am assuming this is because the connector they used may be plastic, rather than the possible aluminium that Apple uses.

Here are the images:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Any ideas? 

Thanks.

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2019 9:16 PM

A lot of fake power bricks will feel really light weight. If you have doubts, I would return it as it could damage your laptop or even pose a safety issue.

It seems Apple still sells the 85W MagSafe2 Power Adapter on the US Apple website here. If it is not available in your region, have you checked OWC? Perhaps you can go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can provide you with an official Apple power adapter. An AASP may be able to assist you if your laptop is no longer officially supported.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2019 9:16 PM in response to higgalls

A lot of fake power bricks will feel really light weight. If you have doubts, I would return it as it could damage your laptop or even pose a safety issue.

It seems Apple still sells the 85W MagSafe2 Power Adapter on the US Apple website here. If it is not available in your region, have you checked OWC? Perhaps you can go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to see if they can provide you with an official Apple power adapter. An AASP may be able to assist you if your laptop is no longer officially supported.

Apr 16, 2019 10:12 PM in response to higgalls

The official Apple adapters are completely packed inside. The adapter should feel evenly weighted and should not feel or sound hollow at all. The Apple adapter will feel solid. I don't keep up on how realistic the knock offs might be. As I mentioned before a fake power adapter can easily damage your laptop and even pose a safety hazard. Purchasing anything from an unknown source is always risky.

The serial number can be located in the recessed area on some adapters.

https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

https://beetstech.com/blog/oem-magsafe-chargers-vs-counterfeits-teardown-for-truth

Fake or Genuine Magsafe 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.