Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine backups present but not accessible (red bar)

My backups cannot be accessed inside Time Machine; the date bars to the right of the screen are all red. My hard drive shows that all backups exist, so I am confused as to how to crack this particular nut. Is there a way to make the backups accessible again?

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply
12 replies

Dec 13, 2018 5:51 AM in response to baward16

As far as I can tell the red bars mean drive not available. Is it a USB3 drive?

If a drive looses a connection during use, may not exist after a restart or Finder Quit...

In Finder's Menu, select Go menu>Go to Folder, and go to "/volumes". (no quotes)

Volumes is where an alias to your hard drive ("/" at boot) is placed at startup, and where all the "mount points" for auxiliary drives are created for you to access them. This folder is normally hidden from view.

Drives with an extra 1 on the end have a side-effect of mounting a drive with the same name as the system already think exists.

Dec 14, 2018 11:20 AM in response to baward16

Are you sure they're inaccessible?

A bright red tick mark is a backup that can be restored now, either from a local snapshot or your backup drive. When your backup drive isn't available, only the local snapshots are bright red.

A dimmed red tick mark is a backup that can be restored from your backup drive after that drive becomes available. Until then, the stack of windows on the screen shows a blank window for that backup.

Time machine backups present but not accessible (red bar)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.