Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unrecognizible SSD startup drive

I installed Mojave on a SSD in my 10.5 mac pro and it ran fine. I did a restart to run off my El Capitan v.10.11.6 on a internal HD and now I can't get the startup drive utility to recognize the SSD.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 9, 2018 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 4:22 AM

The start up pane and disk Utility are not going to SHOW the Mojave drive. WHY? Because the structure of that Mojave drive has changed from HFS+ to APFS. Only High Sierra and Mojave will recognize APFS. That also means not going to see the drive on the Desktop when booted into earlier Mac systems.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2018 4:22 AM in response to macBobert

The start up pane and disk Utility are not going to SHOW the Mojave drive. WHY? Because the structure of that Mojave drive has changed from HFS+ to APFS. Only High Sierra and Mojave will recognize APFS. That also means not going to see the drive on the Desktop when booted into earlier Mac systems.

Dec 10, 2018 4:48 PM in response to DonH49

Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of the disk restructure. I assume there is an advantage to the APFS format. This brings up another problem though, my mail and browsers in Mojave consider I'm on a new machine. Browsers are missing bookmarks, mail has no addresses, applications are asking for license fees, etc. I am probably missing something about syncing the old to the new.

Eric Roots suggestion for switching using the option key on restart works great, so I can go back and forth, at least, but you'd think they would have a built-in migration ability.

unrecognizible SSD startup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.