Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4.4.2 locks-up/crashes

Since the "upgrade" to Compressor 4.4.2 any file no matter how small when sent to Compressor from FCPX 10.4.4 crashes with an error report. This was not the case before the "upgrade". I have deleted and reinstalled Compressor several times and deleted all related files per the instructions on this board. I am running on a 27" iMac Late 2015 with a 4GHz i7 24GB RAM SSD 512GB (143 GB free) and AMD M395 with 2048 MB.

Is there a fix for 4.4.2? If not, how can I go back to the functioning prior version?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 10, 2018 8:53 AM

28 replies

Dec 31, 2018 7:16 AM in response to Ken007

thanks. I did the same and spent three hours on the phone with three different techs. None o mine suggested sending them the diagnostic files, but had me do various things that resulted in me having to restore from time machine. So if they come back and tell you what needs changes, please reply as mine still is messed up.

Jan 23, 2019 2:58 PM in response to GGHulse

Same problem here. Started about 4 months ago. Will handle a file directly, but send to Compressor no. Once I start "batch" it locks up every single time. I have tried different machines, different hard drives. Dumped cache and preferences. Tried different files, different user names. Every single thing I could find recommended but nothing works. On a 2018 MacBook Pro Compressor 4.4.3.

Mar 4, 2019 10:38 AM in response to Ken007

Thank you Ken. This had been driving me crazy.

I installed the latest Cinema Grade update v1.0.25 (396) and all appears well again now. One of the release notes for this version specifically mentioned the issue:

* Fixed rendering with Apple Compressor

Side note: I wasn't even using Cinema Grade on the files I was sending to Compressor.

Mar 4, 2019 11:00 AM in response to J. Simpson

Glad I could be of help. It's disturbing that these software companies do not fully test their products before releasing them to their customers. This is a bug that should have shown up in development. It is also curious that none of the reviews mentioned it. If you were not using Cinema Grade, why did the installation of the latest version solve your rendering problem?

Compressor 4.4.2 locks-up/crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.