Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I start up, it tries to start up on a mac OS Installer and then crashes

I was dong an update to High Sierra and next time the system started up the system crashes. I get a log file (which I will attach after this initial post). To get the system to boot properly, I need to restart holding the option key, which brings me to a screen with 2 "disk" images, one is the mac OS Installer and one is the "regular" HD. using the right arrow, I select the "regular" HD and it starts up as regular.

Every thing seems to run fine once I get on the regular HD.

By the way this is a 27" iMac 2011 with a SSD (1TB) and 20 GB of memory installed.

I know that this system cannot run/install Mojave and did not try to install but it may have tried as system updates may have tried. My system OS is 10.13.6

What can I do to get rid of the mac OS installer "starter" disk?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 11, 2018 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2018 5:31 PM

You can't unmount it if you are booted from it.

In regular boot it doesn't show in DU under Images?

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 11, 2018 10:05 PM in response to Charlie Marino

It didn't hang up, but went through everything.

Once it was up, it showed some updates that would be needed. Safari 12.02 and Security Update 2018-03 - 10.136. I installed them, restarted to complete the installation and when it came up, everything was back to normal.

So apparently problem solved. My guess that the Security Update and/or Safari Update had not finished when this started (I remember doing that install and caused the problem.

When I start up, it tries to start up on a mac OS Installer and then crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.