Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac OS X cannot start up from this disk issue.

I have a 2006 MacBook Pro; I am the original owner. I have the original box and all original paperwork and discs, etc. The computer has always worked with no issues; battery and power is still working great.

I tried to reset the computer and re-install the original Mac OS X system from the included disc.

On startup, I held 'C' until the disc startup started. However, it won't let me install. I get the notice 'Mac OS X cannot start up from this disk issue." I have included a photo for your assistance as well.

Does anyone know how I can reset and re-install?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:15 AM

You are not installing onto the correct Drive.

You DID start up from the DVD. What is not working is that you told it to install onto "MacOS Base System" which is used to name the Recovery partition, the Installer, or the incoming Mac OS install image.

You should have Erased the boot drive AND created a Mac Volume there. Recent version of MacOS include new Volume setup in the ERASE function, but older MacOS DO NOT.

Initialize or Partition is a separate Required step, and includes a blank for you to specify the new Volume-name. default should be MacOS Extended (journaled) HFS+ (IF it asks).

The default name of Macintosh HD is not required, but MacOS Base System is prohibited, because it is already actively used for something else.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2023 8:15 AM in response to etravisking

You are not installing onto the correct Drive.

You DID start up from the DVD. What is not working is that you told it to install onto "MacOS Base System" which is used to name the Recovery partition, the Installer, or the incoming Mac OS install image.

You should have Erased the boot drive AND created a Mac Volume there. Recent version of MacOS include new Volume setup in the ERASE function, but older MacOS DO NOT.

Initialize or Partition is a separate Required step, and includes a blank for you to specify the new Volume-name. default should be MacOS Extended (journaled) HFS+ (IF it asks).

The default name of Macintosh HD is not required, but MacOS Base System is prohibited, because it is already actively used for something else.

Aug 13, 2023 9:36 AM in response to MacbookPro_290

MacbookPro_290

NO.

Not on THIS discussion, which is about a 2006 MacBook Pro installing far older MacOS.

That is too confusing for me. I am reading lots of different discussions at the same time and coming back after viewing 20 others.

You need to start a NEW discussion of your own, and post:

Your exact model-year Mac and screen size

Your last running MacOS.

What you are using to install {Recovery on disk, Internet Recovery after ten minutes of the spinning globe, USB-stick Installer, "live' inside macOS}

Also are you selling your Mac or trying to upgrade it?

Mac OS X cannot start up from this disk issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.