MacBook Air no startup disc, only Mac OS X Base system

ive Tried every rebooting technique there is to try and save this computer and nothing is working. It has no start up disc, internet recovery isn’t working and I don’t have external drives to back up anything, is there a way I can save this or will I have to send my computer off to be fixed?

Posted on Jun 30, 2024 2:36 PM

5 replies

Jun 30, 2024 5:32 PM in response to RavenLaing

What is the exact model of this Mac? You can get this information by entering your system serial number on the check coverage page here (please do not post the serial number on this forum since it is considered personal information):

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

What version of macOS is the installer you are accessing? Older versions of macOS won't recognize the new drive layout used by macOS 10.13+ and won't recognize any third party internal NVMe SSDs either.

Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility (macOS 10.13+). If the physical internal SSD does not appear on the left pane of Disk Utility, then that SSD has failed and recovering data from it would require a professional data recovery service to attempt recovery. If you are booting an older version of macOS 10.12 or earlier & are using a third party internal NVMe SSD, then you won't see any physical internal drives because the older OS is unable to communicate with an NVMe SSD.....you need to boot to a macOS 10.13+ installer.

MacBook Air no startup disc, only Mac OS X Base system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.