Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacPro 2017 with double AMD Radeon HD FirePro D700 questions

Hi to all,

I'm here on a quite new MacPro 2017 and I noticed that, even if I have 2 displays, just one of the two cards hands all the work... I've tried different connection like “display port <-> display port / display port to DVI adapter <-> DVI” and “display port <-> display port / HDMI to DVI adapter <-> DVI” but nothing changed

Is it right or is there a way to set one card to handle the first display and one card to handle the second display?

Why is the card on the second slot to handle all and not the card on the first slot? 🤔

I really can't understand...

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 9:01 AM

By design, the interface for all six displays are wired onto one card.

That card handles all the interruptions and screen refreshes to keep those displays refreshed properly. It is not at all taxed doing all six displays. You would get no advantage from moving half the displays to the other card.

That leaves the second card completely free to handle GPU computation without interruption. The interruption of computation on a graphics card by screen refresh duties sends it back to the begginning of that computation -- so this is a distinct advantage of this setup. GPU computation is much faster this way.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2018 9:01 AM in response to fixthefish

By design, the interface for all six displays are wired onto one card.

That card handles all the interruptions and screen refreshes to keep those displays refreshed properly. It is not at all taxed doing all six displays. You would get no advantage from moving half the displays to the other card.

That leaves the second card completely free to handle GPU computation without interruption. The interruption of computation on a graphics card by screen refresh duties sends it back to the begginning of that computation -- so this is a distinct advantage of this setup. GPU computation is much faster this way.

MacPro 2017 with double AMD Radeon HD FirePro D700 questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.