Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphic Cards - 2013 Mac Pro

I have two displays, both work, one HDMI, the other using a thunderbolt port. I noticed in the Graphics/Displays system report that no matter which port I plug the Thunderbolt display into, both displays are listed as attached to the Slot-2 card. Is this normal? I thought I would try to balance it out, but maybe I'm not clear on how the dual cards work...

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 7:12 AM

MacSurfrider wrote:
no matter which port I plug the Thunderbolt display into, both displays are listed as attached to the Slot-2 card. Is this normal?

Your Mac is working as designed. Only one graphics card has all the interfaces (for up to six displays). The other card is reserved for un-interrupted GPU computation.

The constant interruption of GPU computation for mundane screen refresh means that GPU computations in progress needed to be abandoned and restarted after the interruption. With the Mac Pro 2013 setup, GPU computations can proceed MUCH faster because they are not interrupted.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2020 7:12 AM in response to MacSurfrider

MacSurfrider wrote:
no matter which port I plug the Thunderbolt display into, both displays are listed as attached to the Slot-2 card. Is this normal?

Your Mac is working as designed. Only one graphics card has all the interfaces (for up to six displays). The other card is reserved for un-interrupted GPU computation.

The constant interruption of GPU computation for mundane screen refresh means that GPU computations in progress needed to be abandoned and restarted after the interruption. With the Mac Pro 2013 setup, GPU computations can proceed MUCH faster because they are not interrupted.

Graphic Cards - 2013 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.