Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (mid 2010) RAM Upgrade Problems

I recently acquired an old Mac Mini, and bought two CRUCIAL 4gb DDR3 - 1333 (PC3 10600) modules.

When I try and install the two new modules into the Mac, I get the three bleeps that indicates a RAM issue. I've tried the following:

1. New RAM in slot 1 (bottom slot) only - Mac turns on fine
  2. New RAM in slot 1 and old RAM (1GB) in slot 2 - Mac turns on fine
  3. New RAM in slot 1 and slot 2 - Mac beeps and doesn't turn on

I have tried both of the new RAM modules in slot 1 and both work, but as soon as I put them in at the same time, it bleeps.

It surely can't be the memory slot, because the 1GB works fine?

Any suggestions?

Mac mini Unibody

Posted on Dec 12, 2018 8:48 AM

7 replies

Dec 13, 2018 12:32 AM in response to Dr4ke

Note the specs for memory chips in that model, given the identifier you supplied:

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)

Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

This is Mac mini (Mid 2010) according to MacTracker.ca database & everymac site:

Introduced June 2010

Discontinued July 2011

Model Identifier Macmini4,1

Model Number A1347

EMC 2364

Order Number MC270LL/A

With correct & expected upgrade or replacement parts, the unit may function properly.

{..macsales/owc site & crucial sites offer several RAM chips that fit; incorrect or otherwise..}

Dec 13, 2018 1:08 AM in response to Dr4ke

You can check against the OWC or crucial web site for exact match; however

results will vary if you misidentify the product specs or build model year, etc.

You cite this:

DDR3 - 1333 (PC3 10600)

but MacTracker database says:

2- 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz)

These are not interchangeable, however some rare instances of a slower spec

RAM chip working in higher demand environment have happened. 1- Original

memory stick that seems to work correctly may be the right spec for your Mac.

Check the model info (by serial number, but don't post that info here) to be sure:

Mac Serial Number Info - Lookup Your Apple Serial Number:

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

Expect that if you order the incorrect part number, the device probably won't work

or could only within limited conditional parameters. Try the correct 'matching' RAM.

Good luck & happy computing! 😻

Dec 13, 2018 2:54 AM in response to stedman1

Well - that's a bit ****. I didn't even look at the title! I just assumed, seeing as I'd clicked the 2010 hyperlink, that it was relevant to the 2010 Mac Mini!

But you're absolutely right MacTracker has them down as a 1066MHz speed. Maybe Apple should update their support page to include the 2010 model.

Memory Slots: 2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

Thanks for your help.

Mac Mini (mid 2010) RAM Upgrade Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.