Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When your backup external drive is full using Time Machine, is it possible to lose important old files?

I have an iMac that replaced an older model, and one of my external drives is almost full. Is it possible, when Time Machine starts replacing older backups with new ones, to lose important files that may even go back to my previous iMac? I'm sure I have files that have not been changed since they were created. It's my understanding that new backups include only the changes that have been made since the previous one. Please help me understand how this works. Is it better to just buy a new external drive when an old one is full. I have two external drives, and it is my plan to keep using them until one fails or I just want a new one.

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 11:13 AM

So, if I understand you right, your most recent backup on Time Machine is a complete backup of your iMac's present contents?

Yes, at the time that backup was performed, excluding any items you may have chosen to exclude.

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 15, 2018 1:20 PM in response to JazzmanJohn

Hey, JazzmanJohn,

I understand that you had some questions about how Time Machine works, and I'm happy to clarify as much as I can.

You're correct that Time Machine will automatically delete old backups as your disk gets full. The system is designed to automatically delete the oldest backups first once that disk is full. The best way to prevent that would be to simply use a larger drive with Time Machine so that you can preserve your history for as long as possible.

This page here has additional details on that: If the Time Machine backup disk for your Mac is full.

If you do opt to purchase a new, larger drive, you can always bring over your backup history as is discussed in the article linked above. Another good article to bookmark, with additional info, can be found here: Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Cheers.

Dec 15, 2018 6:52 PM in response to Teddy_B

If I do get a new, larger external drive, is it really necessary to preserve my existing backup history? If you just back up your entire iMac and go forward from there, isn't that enough? It seems to me that what is on my iMac now includes everything on my external drive up to this point anyway. So why would I need to move that to my new external drive?

Dec 15, 2018 7:58 PM in response to JazzmanJohn

It seems to me you have conflicting goals. You originally expressed concern that older backups will be erased when Time Machine needs to reallocate the space they occupy for newer backups. That question has been answered. Now you are asking if it's really necessary to preserve your existing backup history, and only you can answer that question.

Bear in mind Time Machine will always retain, at an absolute minimum, one and only one complete backup of its source volume's present contents. It will also retain backups predating that one within that backup device's capacity. There is no practicable way to predict exactly when Time Machine will require that additional space, and it won't inform you until after those older backups are deleted. When it does that (assuming you selected the option to inform you) TM will inform you when its backup date range has been shortened.

If I do get a new, larger external drive, is it really necessary to preserve my existing backup history? If you just back up your entire iMac and go forward from there, isn't that enough?

It is for my particular requirements. Anyone else's requirements, including yours, may be different.

When your backup external drive is full using Time Machine, is it possible to lose important old files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.