Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Crashes while booting & gray screen appears

The system I'm trying to get working:

Mac Mini (Model: A1347) running OS 10.11.6

Symptoms:

When power button is pressed, Mac Mini chimes and Apple boot screen appears. The progress bar gets partially across (at least is 1/3 of the way & at most 3/4 of the way), there is a digital artifact stripe across the top third of the screen, then the screen goes blank (black) and returns to a gray screen (without chime, Apple logo, or progress bar) and remains there until forced to power down by holding the power button for 5 seconds.

Photo of the digital artifact (glitch) stripe screen is below:

Troubleshoot Attempts:

Booting from restore image:

I have attempted to boot to a known good restore image of OS 10.11 (from an external USB hard drive). Similar symptoms occur: progress bar to a certain point, screen goes black and returns to a gray screen without the Apple chime. The digitized glitch stripe does not appear before the black screen.

Booting from Safe Mode:

Holding the left shift button had the same results as booting from an external restore image.

PRAM & SMC reset:

No seeming affect on the booting problem.

Option + D Diagnostics:

Booting to Apple Hardware Test, and running extended test, showed no detection of failed hardware.

Target Mode to another Mac:

Booting the Mac Mini into Target mode and connecting to another Mac via a Thunderbolt cable showed the Mac Mini hard drive. Files were able to be accessed. An image of the drive was copied to an external hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Booting another Mac with that copied image resulted successfully > OS, software, and files were all available after login. Booting the problem Mac Mini from the external (successful) image resulted in the same problematic issues described earlier.

Reseating RAM:

Same booting error. Glitch upper third, black screen to blank gray screen without Apple chime.

I'm at a loss for what to do next and am wondering if anyone else have seen these problems. I'm suspect of a graphics issue due to the glitch screen; yet Diagnostics did not show any errors. Any suggestions would be welcome. Please let me know if you would like any more info and I'll do my best to provide it.

Thanks,

Brad

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 8:28 AM

What specific Mini? Model: A1347 covers all Minis since 2010.

If you Mini has discrete graphics then that could be the problem since that has been a problem with those Minis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Mini

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 13, 2018 10:39 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you IIIaass for the reply. Looking up the S/N online, it appears to be a mid-2011Mac Mini (MacMini5,2). Looks like that model came with an AMD Radeon HD 6630M discrete graphics chip. Hmmm... Thanks for pointing me to the likely conclusion IIIaass. That's probably the culprit.

I'm working on this Mac Mini as a favor for a friend. Some iMac computers have a graphics board that can be replaced; yet I'm guessing the graphics in a Mac Mini is not interchangeable. Would the answer be to get another Mac? This one is not serviceable? Thanks again.

Mac Mini Crashes while booting & gray screen appears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.