Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios12 effect on iPhone 6s battery

Since I updated my iPhone 6s (which is not yet 2.5yrs old) with ios12 excessive and inexplicable battery drain has rendered it virtually unusable unless I ready access to charge it. My experience yesterday related below has become the norm since ios12;

0600 switch phone on, 100%

0800 listened to music via Bluetooth, very brief use of mail, phone in low power mode, WiFi off, any apps closed down immediately after use - power remaining 65%. Phone switched off completely.

1200 switch phone back on, battery level now shows 27%!?!? (How can battery have lost almost 40% of charge when not even switched on!!!- this NEVER happened pre ios12).

1300 after no use except sending 1 quick message charge down to 1%. Phone recharged at this point.

This has become a typical day’s experience with my phone. I would therefore like to know what Apple are doing to rectify this. I do not expect a £700 phone to become all but unusable after a little over 2years or to not be able to use its capabilities due to fear of a flat battery. Pre ios12 I could leave WiFi on all day and various apps with no fear of such battery drain.

In light of the above I do not believe the battery drain issue is due to a faulty battery. If Apples ios12 software has damaged the battery in my phone it is THEY who should cover the cost it’s replacement. What is the latest position with this issue please.

It is several months I think since I updated to ios12 so this is not a case of the new iOS ‘running in’

thanks

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 1:19 PM

First off, force closing apps after using them uses more battery than just leaving them in the background.

Secondly, the best you can do at this point is to have your device tested at an Apple Store or an authorized repair center. If iOS 12 caused this much problem with the battery on iPhone 6 devices then there would be a lot more threads regarding the issue. Based on what you have described it sounds as if the battery is faulty and needs to be serviced. For it to lose 38% battery while off and sending one message dropped you to 1% then the battery needs to be replaced.

Your only other option would be to do a factory reset on your device and see if the same issues persist on a device set to factory settings.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2018 1:19 PM in response to Dw998

First off, force closing apps after using them uses more battery than just leaving them in the background.

Secondly, the best you can do at this point is to have your device tested at an Apple Store or an authorized repair center. If iOS 12 caused this much problem with the battery on iPhone 6 devices then there would be a lot more threads regarding the issue. Based on what you have described it sounds as if the battery is faulty and needs to be serviced. For it to lose 38% battery while off and sending one message dropped you to 1% then the battery needs to be replaced.

Your only other option would be to do a factory reset on your device and see if the same issues persist on a device set to factory settings.

Ios12 effect on iPhone 6s battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.