Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Memos default name for new recordings

So, I rarely use Voice Memos.

I open it just now and all new recordings are created with the title "Calibre Demolition Excavation"

This is just plain creepy, Apple. "Calibre Demolition Excavation" is not and has never been in my Contacts app, nor would it have been any web search or phone call I ever initiated because:

1. I have never worked in the construction industry;
  2. I have never been a customer of the construction industry;
  3. "Calibre Demolition Excavation" is a Australian business registered in the 2205 postcode, where I am currently located;
  4. I DO NOT LIVE where I am currently located but am visiting for just a few days.

If Apple is leaking local business names into Voice Memos, I want to know what personal info Apple is leaking to local businesses?

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 13, 2018 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2018 9:15 AM

Hello Scott Grimmett,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you have a question about the title of your Voice Memos.

What you're describing is normal behavior when you have Location Services enabled for the Voice Memos app. You mentioned the business in question is in the same area where you are located, so it sounds like the cellular or Wi-Fi network you're on has identified this as the nearest location. If you tap Settings > Voice Memos > Location, you can set it to "Never" if you prefer. When you tap into this page in Settings, you'll see the following explanation that will clarify what you're seeing: "Voice Memos will be named with the location where they are recorded."

Here's more about location services and how they work for your reference: Location Services & Privacy.

Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2018 9:15 AM in response to Scott Grimmett

Hello Scott Grimmett,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you have a question about the title of your Voice Memos.

What you're describing is normal behavior when you have Location Services enabled for the Voice Memos app. You mentioned the business in question is in the same area where you are located, so it sounds like the cellular or Wi-Fi network you're on has identified this as the nearest location. If you tap Settings > Voice Memos > Location, you can set it to "Never" if you prefer. When you tap into this page in Settings, you'll see the following explanation that will clarify what you're seeing: "Voice Memos will be named with the location where they are recorded."

Here's more about location services and how they work for your reference: Location Services & Privacy.

Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

Take care.

Voice Memos default name for new recordings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.