Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail stopped working with Charter.

I don't know what the trigger was, maybe the last update, but On my late 2012 27" iMac running Mojave (10.14.2) I can no longer send eMail from the Mac Mail app using my charter.net account. Sometime can't even receive it (sporadic.) Was on the phone with Charter and all my settings are correct.

Things I've noticed.

1. When setting up a fresh Charter account, I get a password error, even though the password is correct.
  2. I can log into my charter mail via a web browser.
  3. I can log into my other accounts and send/rec email from them. (iCloud and hotmail)
  4. I downloaded and configured the Spark email client and all works fine.
  5. Attempting setup on a fresh Mac I experience the same things. Fresh Mac made no difference.
  6. I CAN send and receive eMail from my iPhone with no issues.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 14, 2018 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2018 3:22 PM

Don't know if this will help all with this problem. I was able to use Charter.net in mail by using imap.charter.net and smtp.charter.net rather than the one on the Charter page which was mobile.charter.net for both imap and smtp.

My email works now.

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 17, 2018 8:15 AM in response to silvasp

Hi silvasp,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. I understand you're running into some issues sending and receiving email.

You mentioned you're receiving a password error. Are you being prompted for the password repeatedly? This type of error is typically on your email service provider end, and you can find more information here: If Mail on your Mac keeps asking for your password.

However, I do note that you've already worked with your email service provider. To make sure all possibilities have been covered, there are some great steps here that you might check out, particularly under the "If you still can’t send or receive email" section: If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac.

If these don't help clear things up, since you've already worked with the email service provider and have tested on a clean install of macOS, you might want to reach out to Apple next. You can use this link to Contact Apple Support.

I hope these steps help.

Kind regards.

Dec 17, 2018 1:42 PM in response to silvasp

Hi silvasp,

We appreciate the follow-up information. Were you able to try the troubleshooting steps in this link yet? If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac. What were the results in Connection Doctor? This would provide more information about the issue and how it relates to the macOS Mail app. If you haven't tried Connection Doctor yet, here's how: Use Mail Connection Doctor.

Take care.

Dec 17, 2018 4:47 PM in response to Joseph_S.

After 26 mins of trying to connect… I finally get this error “Unable to verify account name or password”.

Clicking “Next” I get this…

I uncheck “Notes”, then Done.

Looks configured, Right?

I send an eMail and it sits forever in my Outbox.

FYI… I am receiving email though.

Connection Doctor…

After another 20 mins of waiting….

Looks like an SMTP problem.

Spark was setup with these same settings with no issues.

Dec 17, 2018 12:07 PM in response to rose_10

No. Not being asked repeatably. Just the once, but after a LONG time (20-30 minutes) it finally "finishes". No errors or anything. It looks like it finally worked. BUT after the configuration is "completed" Mail doesn't work.

At times I cannot send or receive mail, after other attempts, I cannot send mail. Currently, I have it where I can receive it but cannot send it.

Using Spark now with no issues.

My best guess is the last Mojave update broke it.

Dec 19, 2018 12:14 PM in response to ryane77

Thanks. I spoke to Charter and was told there's nothing they can do. Seeing as it works well with the Spark email client, I tend to believe this is an Apple problem, particularly since this occurred after the last up date to Mohave. If it were an Charter problem, I would think Spark would also not work.

I can send mail from my Apple mobile (iPhone/iPad) clients. It's just the Mohave Mail client giving me headaches.

Apple Mail stopped working with Charter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.