Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages and Numbers compatibility between Mojave laptop and El Capitan desktop

I have a powermac desktop with 10.11.6 and I have a new macbook pro for mobile with mojave. I created a pages document and updated another on the macbook pro and now I am not able to use the desktop with 10.11.6 to open the files. Same with numbers.

Is this for real? Cant believe apple would box me in. I cant update the desktop to mojave because its not compatible.

Any fixes?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 7:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2018 7:59 AM

Once a file is opened & saved in a newer version of Pages or Numbers it cannot be opened with an older version. Even just storing the files on your iCloud drive will update them. However, you can use iWork for iCloud to open & the files in a web browser on your older Mac.

3 replies

Dec 15, 2018 8:50 AM in response to BF NC

Pages documents created with Pages v5 thru v7.n — have a notion of unsupported hardware, and the oldest Pages version that are allowed to open these documents. Pages v7.3 by example will save a document that can be opened by Pages v5.6 on El Capitan, as long as the Desktop model is not one of iMac7,1, iMac8,1, iMac9,1, Macmini3,1, MacPro3,1, MacPro4,1, or Xserve3,1. If you are running El Capitan and Pages v5.6 on one of these older Macs, then the document won't open in what otherwise would be an acceptible version of Pages.

Pages and Numbers compatibility between Mojave laptop and El Capitan desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.