Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing iCloud server stopped working in Mail

3 days ago I couldn't send emails from my iCloud account. I noticed it from my iPhone (iOS 12.1.1) at first. I then attempted to send the mail from my iMac (Mojave) and it failed also. Yesterday I was successful in sending emails from my iCloud account from my MBP (High Sierra) and from my iPhone. However I still cannot send from my iMac and now from my iPad (iOS 12.1.1). The error on the iPad says the connection to the outgoing server p50-smtp.mail.me.com failed.

For the record I sent an email from my iMac from the iCloud account on 12/8/18, so it was working 9 days ago. I've not had any major changes to the system during that time. the only updates have been to Compressor, Medinfo, FullContact, OneDrive, OneNote, and Spark via the App Store. Only OneDrive and FullContact have been used. I believe I updated Cocktail during this time. As far as I can remember those are the only updates.

On the iMac I've logged out of my iCloud account and re-logged in twice. I tried to manually enter the SMTP settings for iCloud multiple times. I've searched for a solution but it's either very generic for and email server, specific to MacOS Server from a few years ago, or the problem resolved itself due to iCloud services being down. None of which apply in this case.

Short of doing a reinstall of the OS on the iMac and wiping and restoring the iPad, I'm at a loss as to what to do to fix it. For S&Gs I did a virus scan with AVG and it found nothing. I also had Cocktail run all Daily, Weekly, and Monthly scripts, clear all caches, etc.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 17, 2018 1:48 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 19, 2018 3:45 PM in response to Mark Fusco

Hello Mark,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to send emails from your iCloud account on your iMac and iPad, even though you're able to use your iCloud account for Mail on your MacBook Pro and iPhone. To help with your situation, please follow the relevant steps from this Apple resource on iCloud Mail issues:

Get help using iCloud Mail

Cheers!

Dec 20, 2018 3:12 AM in response to Teddy_B

So it appears that using a VPN now prevents the use of an iCloud server in the Mail.app in both MacOS and iOS. However, I've been able to use the iCloud server for my .mac email on all devices to send mail so long as I'm not logged into my VPN. EXCEPT the iMac. It still won't send email using the iCloud server regardless of being logged into my VPN or not.

The workaround I used on the iMac for quite a few test emails is using a different email server for my iCloud account. All my other emails work with the VPN using their default servers on both MacOS & iOS. Bottom line for me is that iCloud server is no longer compatible with at least one VPN server, PIA. This seems to have been the case in the past for at least one person in the past in these forums.

Outgoing iCloud server stopped working in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.