Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail doesn't send/receive - constantly recurring issue

Mail frequently fails to receive or send messages (sometimes both) from my provider's server.

Another client (Thunderbird) and my provider's webmail receive and send all messages, every time.

I have discussed with my provider, many times (it happens frequently). The provider is satisfied (and so am I) that since all messages are being sent/received as expected, the issue is with the Mail application.

He suggests deleting the whole account and starting again. I can't do that because I would lose all my emails and all the folders and subfolders, filters etc. I have so carefully created. It would be a total PITA and anyway, it might not fix the problem.

I have therefore given up on Mail and am using Thunderbird as my default email client because it's reliable.

Your comments?

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 1:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 9:50 AM

I have two comments. First, you can delete your account in Mail and then create a new one without loosing any emails. Second, I long ago gave up using Mail. On this forum there seem to be repeated problems with this app. It too use Thunderbird and I am very happy with it. It also has some features not found in other email apps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Tom in London

I have two comments. First, you can delete your account in Mail and then create a new one without loosing any emails. Second, I long ago gave up using Mail. On this forum there seem to be repeated problems with this app. It too use Thunderbird and I am very happy with it. It also has some features not found in other email apps.

Apr 9, 2022 6:27 AM in response to Tom in London

Tom in London wrote:

Mail frequently fails to receive or send messages (sometimes both) from my provider's server.

Another client (Thunderbird) and my provider's webmail receive and send all messages, every time.

I have discussed with my provider, many times (it happens frequently). The provider is satisfied (and so am I) that since all messages are being sent/received as expected, the issue is with the Mail application.

He suggests deleting the whole account and starting again. I can't do that because I would lose all my emails and all the folders and subfolders, filters etc. I have so carefully created. It would be a total PITA and anyway, it might not fix the problem.

I have therefore given up on Mail and am using Thunderbird as my default email client because it's reliable.

Your comments?

You can submit your Apple Feedback directly to the Product Team:

Feedback - Mail - Apple

in an effort to resolve your Mail.app issue—

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Use Connection Doctor in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac

If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

for problem accounts and add them back in—

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

• IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

• POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

• "On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

further—

Open mail app select Mail>Preferences>Privacy disable “Protect Mail Activity” / “Hide IP address” / “Block all remote content” —and compare your results.

Mail doesn't send/receive - constantly recurring issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.