Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Dummy audio input" needed on Mac mini 2018 Mojave for software Sonic Pi to start

Hello community

I am setting up brandnew Mac minis 2018 running OSX Mojave for our school. We want to include the software Sonic Pi. However, Sonic Pi crashes upon startup. As it looks like, this is because the Mac mini 2018 has hardware input source for Sonic Pi to startup properly. (I posted in this thread in the Sonic Pi forum)

We have a Behringer USB audio-interface in house. When I plug it to the mac Mini, the system has an input-device (Which can be seen in Preferences) once it is plugged. Then, Sonic Pi starts and can be used. Even if the interface is unplugged later once Sonic Pi is running.

Now my idea is to add a permanent “dummy audio input” source to the Mac mini that would make SonicPi start. Any suggestinons on how I could do this? I have tried it in vain with Loopback and Soundflower for OSX.

Morgy

Posted on Dec 18, 2018 10:51 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 21, 2018 6:57 AM in response to Morgy

Hello Morgy.

I understand from your post that you are looking to create a dummy audio input source to the Mac Mini that would make SonicPi start. I am happy to provide some information.

I would try the recommendations that are provided in the article below for help with audio.

Combine multiple audio interfaces by creating an Aggregate Device

Keep me posted on your progress or if you have any other questions,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

Dec 27, 2018 7:35 AM in response to CarlosP1228

Hello Carlos

Thanks for helping. I tested the way described in the link above. I still cannot start SonicPi. To me, the problem still seems to be that the Mac mini 2018 has no native input source. I couldn't find a way to fake one with Audio-MIDI-Setup. All I could do is integrate the inputs UMC404HD that pop up as soon as I plug our Behringer interface. I can setup what I call "Dummy-Eingang" including these inputs and outputs. I then can start SonicPi. Picture on the left.

However, once I unplug the Behringer interface, the inputs in my Dummy-Eingang fade out and I get the same error when trying to start SonicPi.

"Dummy audio input" needed on Mac mini 2018 Mojave for software Sonic Pi to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.