Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert filename to title in Photos

I have over 14,000 scanned photos from pre-computer days. None of the Photos organizational tools are applicable for scanned images. All scanned images are organized by a naming convention in their filenames. I need to import these images and convert the filename to the Photos title.

This was an issue in posts a few years ago, and many requests were put into Apple to allow sorting and organization by filename. To my knowledge, none of these requests were answered by Apple. So, I need a good workaround.

Thank you.

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 4:20 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 19, 2018 7:37 AM in response to alaz0

The work-around would be to to export your Photos from Photos.

Make sure, that all selected photos have a title.

Then use the command "file > Export > Export ... Photos".

In the Export dialog select the option "Filename: Use Title".

The exported photos will have the title as the filename. But use only titles without characters, that could have a special meaning as filename, I would avoid interpunctation characters.

Dec 19, 2018 8:01 AM in response to léonie

Perhaps I misread your question. The work-around above will allow you to assign the title as the filename.

If you rather want to see the existing filenames as the titles, upgrade to Photos 4.0, if you have not yet done so. In Photos 4.0 on Mojave the filenames are shown as the titles below the thumbnails, if you did not yet assign a custom title.

Or run an Apple Script to copy the filenames to the title.

The scripts we posted in the user Tip section are currently not safe to use, because the code got messed up during the transition to the new forum. But OT posted a compiled version on his tutorial web site, see; http://www.oldtoad.net/PHOTOS%20File%20Name%20to%20Title.app.zip

Dec 19, 2018 8:24 AM in response to léonie

It's the other way around. I need to copy the filename to title for importing. I am not exporting photos.

I scanned in images, which have a filename that is coded by me to provide a compact and useful time and location information. When I import that into Photos, Photos Library only allows me to sort by the image date, which for a scan is the scan date (not the photo date, obviously). That makes Photos sorting completely worthless. iPhotos did that just fine, but Apple removed that sorting option from Photos. To fix the problem, I can sort on title, but then I need to import the original (pre-Photos) filename and assign it to the image title. That is what I need. I have been using a slightly modified version of a script from these forums for several years, but the latest version of Photos 3 only changes some titles, and not others.

Following your post, I checked my Photos version, it's 3, not 4. I have a mid-2010 iMac, which works just fine, but Apple has chosen not to allow my iMac to use Mohave. Photos 4 is only on Mohave, so I can't use it. That option will cost me $2,000 for a new iMac for the only purpose of sorting Photos in a way that Apple removed years ago.

I just need a script, preferably Apple-approved, that I can use for this purpose. Other scripts that I've used and/or modified, you tell me are not safe to use.

As I see it, I have a choice: Buy a new iMac or move all my photos to a non-Apple product. I would rather take the simpler route of writing a script. So, I thought that others may have already written one.

Thank you.

Convert filename to title in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.