Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change filename of photo in Mac Photos

Hi,

Is there a way to change a filename of a photo in Mac Photos? I’ve imported a lot of images direct from my phone and didn’t think to change their names at the time. Now I want to go back and change the filenames to include more information about the photo itself and I can’t find a way to do it.

Even when I export the photo, delete it entirely from My Library and the bin, rename and import, it still presents with the same filename as when I first imported it. I’m baffled.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 2:24 AM

SillyFrissonOverACroissant wrote:

Hi,

Even when I export the photo, delete it entirely from My Library and the bin, rename and import, it still presents with the same filename as when I first imported it. I’m baffled.

This should work, unless your library is an iCloud Photos Library. If your Photos Library is syncing with iCloud, you have to wait, until the deleted photos have vanished completely from iCloud and all devices as well, before you reimport them.

• Export the original photo, rename it.
  • Delete it from your Photos Library and empty Recently Deleted.
  • Wait until it has vanished from all devices and from iCloud Photos at www.icloud.com
  • Only then reimport the renamed photo.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 2:24 AM in response to SillyFrissonOverACroissant

SillyFrissonOverACroissant wrote:

Hi,

This should work, unless your library is an iCloud Photos Library. If your Photos Library is syncing with iCloud, you have to wait, until the deleted photos have vanished completely from iCloud and all devices as well, before you reimport them.

• Export the original photo, rename it.
  • Delete it from your Photos Library and empty Recently Deleted.
  • Wait until it has vanished from all devices and from iCloud Photos at www.icloud.com
  • Only then reimport the renamed photo.

Nov 5, 2021 9:36 AM in response to SillyFrissonOverACroissant

Another option is to rename the Title of the photo to what you would rename the file name to and when you export it for any reason you use the Title as the new file name.

There are a number of user created AppleScripts to batch rename the Title here: Thematic Index to Photos for Mac Related User Tips.

Many of the scripts compiled as an applications can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

Change filename of photo in Mac Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.