Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from Apple Photos

So I import all my photos to my mac's Photos app. Now, when I transfer photos to let's say a hard drive, flash drive or even to my mac's documents or desktop, the file name is crazy long and all random, hence, photos are no longer in chronological order even if I sort them by date taken or date modified, whatever. File names become "1B131C6A-09C8-4C1D-AEC4-9D914547F194_1_105_c" <<<that is just one sample of my photo's name. So transferring my wedding photos now, instead of from the Gettin-ready photos to reception...photos are in random arrangement in my flash drive. How do I fix this? I'm also a photographer so it's not good when I transfer the photos of my clients USB that I will give to them. It's in random order.

Please see below screenshot as sample.

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 10:56 AM

That's what you get when you drag the image files from the Masters folder inside the library package.

To get the correct file name you should export the original version to the folder on the Desktop with the option to use the file name as the file name.

What you're experiencing has been a bone of contention for many users here in the Photos community. If the library gets damaged/corruipted where we can't export the files out with the correct file name the photos (in an identifiable manner) are lost to us.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Feedback - Photos - Apple

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 10:56 AM in response to jollasr

That's what you get when you drag the image files from the Masters folder inside the library package.

To get the correct file name you should export the original version to the folder on the Desktop with the option to use the file name as the file name.

What you're experiencing has been a bone of contention for many users here in the Photos community. If the library gets damaged/corruipted where we can't export the files out with the correct file name the photos (in an identifiable manner) are lost to us.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Feedback - Photos - Apple

Transferring photos from Apple Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.