Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long file names instead of IMG_1234.jpg in Finder

Hi! This is my workflow for importing photos from my Iphone to organize them on my Mac:

1. Import photos from iPhone to the Mac using the Photos app
  2. Go to Photos Library - Show Package Contents - Navigate to the folder holding the imported photos
  3. Move over the files from the Library to my own Finder folders.

Recently (like end of last year), the photos imported are put in an array of folder with file names like "" instead of "IMG_1234.jpg".

I'm perplexed on why this happens and how I can go back to my old way of managing my photos.

Thanks

File name in Photos (desired!)

Not sure what's going on here, it's all a messy circus of non-chronologically ordered/named files.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 12:51 PM

Below your post is "macOS 10.13" shown, but you screenshot suggest macOS 10.15 Catalina.

It is a new feature in Photos 5 on Catalina. Photos is renaming all original files on import. You cannot prevent it.

I would back up all original image files you are importing to photos on an external volume, to preserve the original image files. Photos will recreate the original filenames, when you export thephotos with FIle > Export > Export unmodified original".

See: How Photos 5.0 on Catalina Manages original Files and Filenames

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2020 12:51 PM in response to robertnorgren

Below your post is "macOS 10.13" shown, but you screenshot suggest macOS 10.15 Catalina.

It is a new feature in Photos 5 on Catalina. Photos is renaming all original files on import. You cannot prevent it.

I would back up all original image files you are importing to photos on an external volume, to preserve the original image files. Photos will recreate the original filenames, when you export thephotos with FIle > Export > Export unmodified original".

See: How Photos 5.0 on Catalina Manages original Files and Filenames

Apr 17, 2020 12:41 AM in response to robertnorgren

robertnorgren wrote:

Thank you. This retains the file names but it creates live photos as a jpeg and a separate quicktime movie. Hmm... I wonder if there's another way or if Im stuck with the Photos app.

This is normal. A Live Photo is a pair of a video clip and a high resolution still frame. You need the Photos.app to see this pair as a Live Photo. Keep both exported files together in the same folder. If you reimport them to Photos they will appear again as a Live Photo. If you want to use Live Photos in other application, use either the video component for the animation or the still frame as the high resolution photo.

Long file names instead of IMG_1234.jpg in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.