Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Apple AirPort 2TB Time Capsule to BT Home Hub 6 (UK)

I successfully ran my Apple 1TB Time Capsule (ATC) with my BT Home Hub 5 for a few years.

My Apple devices used the ATC wifi network and my MacBook's backed up wirelessly, whereas my kids tended to use the BT wifi connection from the Home Hub for their XBox etc.

This significantly improved wifi connection for my Apple devices, which had struggled to connect consistently to the BT Home Hub 5 without the ATC.

I have now upgraded to both a Apple 2TB AirPort Time Capsule and a BT Smart Hub 6.

However I can't now replicate what I had!

I have a broadband cable linking the Smart Hub to the ATC but although the Smart Hub is successfully providing a wifi signal, the ATC doesn't connect to the BT Smart Hub.

I briefly connected the new ATC to the previous BT Home Hub 5 (before I installed the BT Smart Hub 6) and I suspect that might be causing a problem as in AirPort Utility it states it cannot find the wireless network (presumably as the HH5 network has now been replaced by the SH 6 network).

Can somebody please outline what I need to do?

Thank you

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 1:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 2:26 PM

You don't want the new 2 TB Time Capsule to try to "find" the BT wireless network.......because your old Time Capsule and new Time Capsule connect to the hub using an Ethernet cable......not wireless. Additionally, the Time Capsule cannot connect to the BT Hub using only wireless, even if you wanted it to do so.

Start over again and perform a Hard Reset on the new Time Capsule by powering it up for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button on the back of the device (near the power jack) for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Next, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the BT hub to the WAN "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of new AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Cap;sule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen for the correct setup that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured instead of an AirPort Express.

Network Name........Type in a short simple name that you want to call the Time Capsule wireless network

Base Station.......Type in a device name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Password.......Type in a password that will be used to connect to both the Time Capsule wireless network and the Base Station

Verify......Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next

The setup "wizard" will set up everything for you correctly and automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done......and you are done.

Now you should be able to click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen to select the wireless network the Time Capsule is providing and enter the password to connect if required. Other WiFi devices will stay connected to the BT Hub wireless unless you manually connect them to the Time Capsule wireless.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2018 2:26 PM in response to Jerry Dammers

You don't want the new 2 TB Time Capsule to try to "find" the BT wireless network.......because your old Time Capsule and new Time Capsule connect to the hub using an Ethernet cable......not wireless. Additionally, the Time Capsule cannot connect to the BT Hub using only wireless, even if you wanted it to do so.

Start over again and perform a Hard Reset on the new Time Capsule by powering it up for a few minutes, then hold in the reset button on the back of the device (near the power jack) for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Next, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the four LAN <--> ports on the BT hub to the WAN "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule

On your Mac......

Click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of new AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Cap;sule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The wizard will take few seconds to analyze the network, then display a screen for the correct setup that looks similar to the illustration below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured instead of an AirPort Express.

Network Name........Type in a short simple name that you want to call the Time Capsule wireless network

Base Station.......Type in a device name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Password.......Type in a password that will be used to connect to both the Time Capsule wireless network and the Base Station

Verify......Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next

The setup "wizard" will set up everything for you correctly and automatically. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done......and you are done.

Now you should be able to click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen to select the wireless network the Time Capsule is providing and enter the password to connect if required. Other WiFi devices will stay connected to the BT Hub wireless unless you manually connect them to the Time Capsule wireless.

Dec 20, 2018 9:16 AM in response to Jerry Dammers

Just one other question: what would happen if I connected the ethernet cable to a LAN port on the ATC rather than the WAN port?

Because you have a BT modem/router or hub, the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" configured the Time Capsule in what is known as Bridge Mode to avoid a situation where you would have two routers trying to control the same network.....a situation that you would want to avoid.

In Bridge Mode, all the Ethernet ports behave the same, as LAN ports, so it will not make any difference whether the Ethernet cable connects to the WAN port or one of the LAN ports.

Normal practice would be to use the WAN port......to know at a glance which Ethernet cable is which......if you have other devices connected to the LAN ports on the Time Capsule.

How to connect Apple AirPort 2TB Time Capsule to BT Home Hub 6 (UK)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.