Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Time Capsule to Existing Network

Can I connect my Time Capsule to an external router and configure the Time Capsule as an automatic, wireless backup .. e.g. Time Machine Backup?

I read and followed the instructions here by Bob Timmons. This almost worked but not quite.

After resetting the Time Capsule, the Airport Utility (latest version) set up another wifi network. When I switch to my preferred wifi network, the Time Capsule isn't recognized. I'm running Ventura 13.1 on an M1 MBPro.

This is my network configuration:

Cudy LT 18 cellular modem connected via ethernet cable to the WAN port of a Google Mesh router. The wifi in the Cudy LT 18 is disabled. The Google mesh router is creating the in-home wifi network.

The WAN port on the Time Capsule is connected to the LAN port on the Google mesh router.

After resetting the Time Capsule, Airport Utility prompted me through a setup process which I completed with no errors reported.

I switched to the network generated by the Google mesh router and manually started a Time Machine backup. This process is stuck "Looking for Backup Disk." Time Machine System Settings seems to be recognizing the Time Capsule but it never gets past, "Connecting to backup disk ..."

Can anyone tell me what I might try next?

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 9:43 AM

Everything is correct, network settings wise.

On your Mac, open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click on Select Disk, or it might say Add or Remove Disk

Locate the current backup disk, which might be named "Data", unless you have changed the name of the hard drive on the Time Capsule

Click Remove Disk

Make sure that no other disks are set up for backup

Close the window

Restart the Mac

Power off the Time Capsule

Wait a minute

Power the Time Capsule back up and let it run for a minute or more

On your Mac, click System Preferences and then Open Time Machine

Click Select Disk to choose the Time Capsule disk as the back up destination

Click Use Disk and close the window

Power off the Google WiFi router(s)

Wait a minute

Power the mesh routers back up again

Try to run a backup

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2022 9:43 AM in response to SCCardais

Everything is correct, network settings wise.

On your Mac, open System Preferences (the gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click on Select Disk, or it might say Add or Remove Disk

Locate the current backup disk, which might be named "Data", unless you have changed the name of the hard drive on the Time Capsule

Click Remove Disk

Make sure that no other disks are set up for backup

Close the window

Restart the Mac

Power off the Time Capsule

Wait a minute

Power the Time Capsule back up and let it run for a minute or more

On your Mac, click System Preferences and then Open Time Machine

Click Select Disk to choose the Time Capsule disk as the back up destination

Click Use Disk and close the window

Power off the Google WiFi router(s)

Wait a minute

Power the mesh routers back up again

Try to run a backup

Oct 29, 2022 8:34 AM in response to SCCardais

If you are connected to the Google Wi-Fi mesh network and you open any Finder window on your Mac, can you see the Time Capsule under the Locations heading on the left side of the Finder window?

If you open AirPort Utility on your Mac and click on the Time Capsule, a smaller window will appear with information about the Time Capsule.

What is the IP Address of the Time Capsule? Might be something like 192.168.1.10 for example

What is the LAN IP Address of the Time Capsule? The LAN IP Address should be the same as the IP Address

Connecting Time Capsule to Existing Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.