Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule option to add to existing network doesn't work

I recently bought a TP-Link Deco X20 mesh system and want to change my Time Capsule (ac model) to just be a networked Time Machine (it was my router). I've reset the router and have been trying to use the option "add to existing network," but when setting up via iOS, I receive the message "an unexpected error has occurred" after selecting the option and when setting up in macOS, Airport Utility just reverts back to the setting up a network screen. Either way, no setup is happening.

The Time Capsule is plugged into the back of the main Deco unit.

Has anyone had any luck switching a Time Capsule from a router to just a device on the network? Thanks.

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2021 3:35 PM

Make sure that the Ethernet cable connects from an Ethernet port on the mesh router to the "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule if it is not already on and let it run a minute

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

On your Mac.....

Click on the WiFi menu

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might say just Time Capsule

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup 'wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule on your screen.

Network Name.......Type in a name. Later, the WiFi will be turned off as a separate operation if you don't need another network

Base Station Name......Type in a device name. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password......Type in a password

Verify.....Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next, and the setup utility will configure the Time Capsule with the correct settings to use with the mesh system. After a minute, you should see a message of Setup Complete and the Time Capsule should display a green light.

Click Done

Important.......now log onto the mesh WiFi system and see if you can run a backup. You may....or may not......be able to do this at this time, but it will tell us where we need to go next.

Report on your progress. Later, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule if you don't need another network for guests or the kids.

Whenever you connect the Time Capsule using Ethernet, you must set it up to "Create a network". That is the only setup option that will work correctly when an Ethernet cable is connected to the Time Capsule. The iOS setup should have suggested this as a default.

Apple could have saved everyone a lot of time and frustration if they had offered a simple option in AirPort Utility like......"Set Up TC as a wired hard drive only".

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2021 3:35 PM in response to hacknfrack

Make sure that the Ethernet cable connects from an Ethernet port on the mesh router to the "O" Ethernet port on the Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule if it is not already on and let it run a minute

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

On your Mac.....

Click on the WiFi menu

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Time Capsule, or it might say just Time Capsule

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup 'wizard". The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule on your screen.

Network Name.......Type in a name. Later, the WiFi will be turned off as a separate operation if you don't need another network

Base Station Name......Type in a device name. You can use the same name that you used before if you wish

Password......Type in a password

Verify.....Type in the same password to confirm

Click Next, and the setup utility will configure the Time Capsule with the correct settings to use with the mesh system. After a minute, you should see a message of Setup Complete and the Time Capsule should display a green light.

Click Done

Important.......now log onto the mesh WiFi system and see if you can run a backup. You may....or may not......be able to do this at this time, but it will tell us where we need to go next.

Report on your progress. Later, we will turn off the WiFi on the Time Capsule if you don't need another network for guests or the kids.

Whenever you connect the Time Capsule using Ethernet, you must set it up to "Create a network". That is the only setup option that will work correctly when an Ethernet cable is connected to the Time Capsule. The iOS setup should have suggested this as a default.

Apple could have saved everyone a lot of time and frustration if they had offered a simple option in AirPort Utility like......"Set Up TC as a wired hard drive only".

Apr 26, 2021 7:44 AM in response to hacknfrack

Turn off the WiFi would be good

To do that, make sure that you are logged onto the mesh WiFi signal and there are no backups running at the time

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac

Click to select the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the next wlndow

Change the setting for Network Mode from "Create a wireless network" to "Off"

Click Update to save the new settings and give the Time Capsule a minute to restart

I am using the TC as an Ethernet hub at the moment, as well, since these mesh routers don’t seem to come with the extra Ethernet ports as traditional routers.

The TC can work this way, but there is a potential downside to this type of setup. If the TC has a problem, then so too will the other Ethernet devices connected to the TC likely have a problem.

Not a big deal, but a better setup in terms of network design would be to add an Ethernet switch to the Ethernet port on the mesh router. Switches come in 5-port, 8-port, 16-port versions. Example:

Connect an Ethernet cable from the mesh router to Port 1 on the switch. That will leave 4 available ports for Ethernet devices. Connect the TC and the other Ethernet devices that are now connected to the TC to the switch. If you need more ports, you can go to an 8-port switch.

Any big box electronics retailer will have a selection of switches as well as Amazon.

Apr 25, 2021 3:07 PM in response to hacknfrack

"Add to an existing network" is not the correct setting to use with a Time Capsule, since this type of setup assumes that the Time Capsule will connect to the mesh system using only a WiFi connection......something that it cannot do......so the result in an error in the setup.

The correct setup option may surprise you. It is "Create a network". More details later.

The setup would be easier.....and we can provide screenshots of the step by step process...... if you have a Mac handy to use. is that an option?

Apr 25, 2021 6:12 PM in response to hacknfrack

"Preparing" can take a long time......an hour or more......before the actual backup will begin if it has been some time since the last backup, because Time Machine senses a change on the network and it may need to verify all the old backups before the actual backup process will begin.

Let things run until the backup completes or until you see an error message. If you stop the process, then it must start all over again. If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message.

Apr 26, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

It appears so. I checked it this morning and had the message that it was cleaning up and right now it is preparing another backup, but I can enter Time Machine and access my data. Thanks for the help!

Turn off the WiFi would be good so I don’t have a bunch of networks running around. I am using the TC as an Ethernet hub at the moment, as well, since these mesh routers don’t seem to come with the extra Ethernet ports as traditional routers.

Time Capsule option to add to existing network doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.