Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting Time capsule to existing network

Hello, I recently replaced my modem and router at home, The new routeur/modem is replacing the time capsule I was using . My problem is that I now want to have my time capsule to join the existing network at home to be able to use the time machine feature with wifi, but when I try to configure the time capsule to connect to my existing network, I can't see it. I only see" you-Network" wich is not my network and is not even listed in the networks available on my computer or phone. This is what I did, hard reset my time capsule, connect time capsule to my iMac with ethernet cable, launched Air port utility, clicked on time capsule to configure it, choose, connect to existing network, next screen, is network "you_Network". Can't go further, no such network available. Help is needed, thanks

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 11:06 AM

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. This connection must be maintained at all times.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule 7-8 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac.....

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AriPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" automatically. The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Enter a name for a wireless network. Later, you can turn this off if you don't need another network

Base Station Name.....Enter a device name for the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you have used in the past if you wish, or assign a new name

Password.......Enter a password that you want to use for the Time Capsule

Verify......Enter the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and the setup wizard will automatically configure the Time Capsule for you.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

Now, make sure that you are logged onto the WiFi network provided by the modem/router

See if you can run a backup to the Time Capsule

Post back on your progress and we will continue.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 11:06 AM in response to serge281

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the Ethernet ports on the modem/router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. This connection must be maintained at all times.

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule 7-8 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

On your Mac.....

Click the WiFi menu at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AriPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Time Capsule

When you click on AirPort Time Capsule, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard" automatically. The wizard will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then display a screen that looks like the example below, except that you will see a Time Capsule pictured.

Network Name.......Enter a name for a wireless network. Later, you can turn this off if you don't need another network

Base Station Name.....Enter a device name for the Time Capsule. You can use the same name that you have used in the past if you wish, or assign a new name

Password.......Enter a password that you want to use for the Time Capsule

Verify......Enter the same password again to confirm

Click Next, and the setup wizard will automatically configure the Time Capsule for you.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

Now, make sure that you are logged onto the WiFi network provided by the modem/router

See if you can run a backup to the Time Capsule

Post back on your progress and we will continue.

Sep 25, 2020 12:18 PM in response to serge281

Is there a way to use the time capsule without the cable

No, this is not possible. As I said above, the Time Capsule must remain connected to your modem/router using an Ethernet cable connection permanently, at all times.

You can locate the Time Capsule anywhere that the Ethernet cable will reach. Ethernet cabling can be run up to 100 meters or about 325 feet with no signal loss. My Time Capsule is located 4 rooms away from the main router, for example.

Let us know if you want to continue with the set up.

Sep 25, 2020 11:38 AM in response to serge281

Just want to make sure that you understand that the Ethernet cable connection between the Time Capsule and the modem/router must remain permanent at all times.

In other words, once the Time Capsule is set up and working, you cannot disconnect the Ethernet cable. Please confirm on that. The Time Capsule does not necessarily need to be close to the modem/router since you run an Ethernet cable virtually any distance in a home with no signal loss.

For example, you might want to install the Time Capsule in a hidden location like a closet or behind something so it is out of sight. My neighbor was glad that he set up his Time Capsule this way because he suffered a theft of his Mac computers from his home, but since he had backups of the Macs, he could load the backups onto the new replacement Macs.

You will be able to back up to the Time Capsule over the WiFi network provided by your modem/router.

Frankly, the set up is much easier on a Mac than on an iPhone, but I will provide instructions for both devices.

Sep 25, 2020 9:16 AM in response to serge281

The Time Capsule will not be able to "join" a third party wireless network using a wireless connection as you have discovered.

Unfortunately, the setting to "connect to an existing network" is not the correct setting to use either when the Time Capsule connects to a modem/router using an Ethernet cable connection. The correct setting would be "create a wireless network". Later, if you don't need another wireless network, you can turn off the WiFi service on the Time Capsule and use it as only a wired hard drive.

If you need more help with the setup, it would help to know.......

1) The make and model number of your modem/router if possible

2) Whether you will be using a Mac or an iPhone/ iPad to set up the Time Capsule since the setup is different depending on the device used

Sep 25, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Bob Timmons

The modem/router I use is from my cable-internet provider. It’s Helix from Vidéotron in canada. Cant find model number. The idea behind the use of the ethernet cable was only to be able to configure the time capsule using my iMac. I had already tried to configure with a temporary time capsule network via my iPhone without success. Since I no longer use the time capsule as a router but would like to use the time machine feature wirelessly, I taught that connecting to an existing home network would do the trick. I taught that it would be easy following instructions in airport utility but did not quite work as expected. Your help is appreciated. I can do the configuration with my iphone. Thanks

Connecting Time capsule to existing network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.