Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave - Cannot enable filevault, no users have a secure token

I am unable to enable file vault, when I click the button it just flashes blue. When I check my user (the only listed user on this Macbook Pro 2015) I see I have no secure token: -

sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus myuser

Password:

2018-12-19 22:02:32.787 sysadminctl[1039:6421] Secure token is DISABLED for user My User

Running sudo fdesetup enable -user myuser

I get

Error: A problem occurred while trying to enable FileVault. (-69550)

Running

sysadminctl -secureTokenOn myuser

I get

2018-12-19 22:10:33.922 sysadminctl[1544:10420] Operation is not permitted without secure token unlock.

Running sudo diskutil apfs updatePreboot /

Then rebooting I get no change

Re-installing Mojave without formatting I get no change

Removing /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and restarting and creating a new admin user also results in a user with no token and provides no change

Is there anything I can do or is the only thing left to copy my files off manually and totally format and re-install the machine and manually copy my files and re-install all my applications again from scratch?

MacBook Pro Retina (2015 and later)

Posted on Dec 19, 2018 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 10:46 AM

In-case this helps others. There was no other way to resolve this except to re-build the OS. So that was to

1. Backup fully with Time Machine
  2. Format the Mac by booting into recovery mode (restart, hold cmd and r) then using the disk utility to format
  3. Choose to re-install Mojave
  4. Create a new admin user and ensure that admin user was secure with sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus myadmin
  5. Restore the TimeMachine save point but de-tick the System / settings option
  6. Choose to retain the new admin as well as the restored user to ensure there was always at least one user secure enough to encrypt the disk

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2018 10:46 AM in response to iansramblings

In-case this helps others. There was no other way to resolve this except to re-build the OS. So that was to

1. Backup fully with Time Machine
  2. Format the Mac by booting into recovery mode (restart, hold cmd and r) then using the disk utility to format
  3. Choose to re-install Mojave
  4. Create a new admin user and ensure that admin user was secure with sudo sysadminctl -secureTokenStatus myadmin
  5. Restore the TimeMachine save point but de-tick the System / settings option
  6. Choose to retain the new admin as well as the restored user to ensure there was always at least one user secure enough to encrypt the disk

Mojave - Cannot enable filevault, no users have a secure token

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.