Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i make a backup of photos on an external device

Hi guys, just trying to copy all the photos I have in Photo on my Mac to an external drive to make a backup, how do I do this? Is it as simple as dragging the Photo app image & dropping it into the external drive? I have done this but was expecting the file size to be much bigger.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 9:55 AM

First make sure the external drive is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with Ownership set to be ignored:

Then just drag the Photos Library from your Pictures folder to the EHD to copy. Once the copy is completed launch Photos with the Option key held down and open the library own the EHD to make sure it's in good working condition.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2018 9:55 AM in response to Farr77

First make sure the external drive is formatted OS X Extended (journaled) with Ownership set to be ignored:

Then just drag the Photos Library from your Pictures folder to the EHD to copy. Once the copy is completed launch Photos with the Option key held down and open the library own the EHD to make sure it's in good working condition.

how do i make a backup of photos on an external device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.