Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 disconnects from wifi (All recommended steps taken to resolve with phone&router)

It appears the iPhone tries to connect between the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands on the router continually? Some times it stays connected for awhile. At the Apple Store it stays connected to store wifi. All other apple products stay connected to home router wifi. The router network map shows the phone connecting and disconnecting . We have apple care, but the store did not have time to help us for at least a week! Is there a way to force the phone to select the 5Ghz band? Thank you. Ps phone is 6mos old

iPhone 8

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2018 1:48 PM

Ah, I've got the same router. I turned off the automatic selection because I'm a control freak. I doubt that the problem is the phone; more likely it's local Wi-Fi interference. I have the WiFi Explorer app that lets me view other local networks so I can see potential interference. Note that multiple routers can share the same channel within limits, so just the fact that routers overlap is not necessarily a problem in itself.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2018 1:48 PM in response to Shadowjj77

Ah, I've got the same router. I turned off the automatic selection because I'm a control freak. I doubt that the problem is the phone; more likely it's local Wi-Fi interference. I have the WiFi Explorer app that lets me view other local networks so I can see potential interference. Note that multiple routers can share the same channel within limits, so just the fact that routers overlap is not necessarily a problem in itself.

Dec 21, 2018 1:15 PM in response to Shadowjj77

You can go to Settings/WiFi and "forget" the 2.4 network. However, you'd be better off forgetting the 5G band because it does not travel as far as 2.4 and obstructions (walls) impact it significantly.

In my case, only one WiFi network is available. The router automatically selects the better of the two bands and the operation is invisible to me.

Dec 21, 2018 1:30 PM in response to Philly_Phan

My two bands are also on one network (sorry for confussion). But I assumed since at the Apple store with their strong 5Ghz signal the iphone stayed connected to the stores wifi it would work better at home? We tried the reset network again on the iphone and for now it is staying connected a little longer (still disconnecting though). Have same disconnecting problem on other wifis except Apple store?

Dec 21, 2018 1:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Reading his latest post, Shadow apparently has the same/similar auto selecting router that you and I have. However, unlike us, his phone disconnects whenever the router switches. In my case I can't even detect the switch. I know which band is in use because, in some instances (like right now), I'm 3 feet from the router while, in other cases, I'm thirty feet away with four walls.

Dec 21, 2018 1:39 PM in response to Shadowjj77

Thanks for both your suggestions. My router is a netgear nighthawk 7000 and shows the 2.4 and 5 bands using Century link DSL at 40mbs. It looks like it is assigning the 2.4 except on my gaming laptop. So maybe the iphone wifi chip has a problem? We cannot get help at the Apple store even with apple care. The main problem this creates for now is the security updates to not process. Guess we are stuck for a week?

iPhone 8 disconnects from wifi (All recommended steps taken to resolve with phone&router)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.