Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max keeps disconnecting from WiFi

Suddenly my iPhone started to disconnect from the wifi network. This started a couple of weeks ago (today is 2022/04/25).

My wife has an iPhone 13 pro max and she has the same issue too.

If you force the device to connect, it will but after a couple of minutes, it will drop the connection again.

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 2:15 PM

You don’t have to reset the router. Just unplug it for a few seconds.

VPN is tightly integrated with the protocol stack, and any incompatibilities can cause Wi-Fi (and cellular data) problems. And not all VPN apps are well written or designed.

Here’s my lecture on VPN:

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 

To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access. (This has suddenly become more important)

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems like the one discussed in this thread. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted. For example, a few years ago Avast was caught selling user browsing data. They claim they have stopped doing so. 

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your device and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted.

If you want VPN for privacy about the sites you visit, that’s not a good choice as discussed; instead you should download and use the TOR browser.

With iOS 15.2 for iOS/iPadOS and MacOS Monterey 12.2 and later Apple now has iCloud+ Private Relay, which is like a super VPN, except that it doesn't spy on you→About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 25, 2022 2:15 PM in response to SadUserFromMexico

You don’t have to reset the router. Just unplug it for a few seconds.

VPN is tightly integrated with the protocol stack, and any incompatibilities can cause Wi-Fi (and cellular data) problems. And not all VPN apps are well written or designed.

Here’s my lecture on VPN:

Something to think about→Don't use VPN - GITHUB

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 

To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access. (This has suddenly become more important)

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems like the one discussed in this thread. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted. For example, a few years ago Avast was caught selling user browsing data. They claim they have stopped doing so. 

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your device and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted.

If you want VPN for privacy about the sites you visit, that’s not a good choice as discussed; instead you should download and use the TOR browser.

With iOS 15.2 for iOS/iPadOS and MacOS Monterey 12.2 and later Apple now has iCloud+ Private Relay, which is like a super VPN, except that it doesn't spy on you→About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2022 1:55 PM in response to elcpu

Ok. Thank you for all your support and suggestions.

I think the solutions sounds a bit radical.

Firs: Why a VPN capability it is provided with the phone if it gets in conflict with the basic feature of WIFI connectivity?

Reset all the connections (meaning all the time you wasted to load passwords and network connections) to try to solve the problem without any warranty, does not seems to be an option for me at this moment.

What I don’t understand is: Why this is happening? I don’t even install applications or make any changes? Two phones different models, same issues.

My daughter’s iPhone 13 mini has no issues and she has the entire App Store downloaded in applications.

I will reset the Router to factory (even knowing that the other devices explain the issue it is on the phones)

Apr 25, 2022 3:53 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I agree with your statements.

What I used for this issue was to apply the Ishikawa mindset: What can cause the failure and what has changed since last time the device was working fine?

I have a LogmeIn VPN profile working fair for almost 6 years. Nothing special. I use it from time to time to access files from the company when I am away from the office.

What else changed? Nothing that I am aware of!

The WIFI network was working OK before and other Apple, Android and HP devices are also working OK.

So. This is strange.

Could be possible than Apple drop WiFi connections randomly or maybe based on what iOS consider a safe or unsafe network?

iPhone 12 Pro Max keeps disconnecting from WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.