Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi problem on new iPad Pro 4th gen

My new iPad Pro (11-inch) (4th generation) purchased from Apple a few weeks ago (December 2022) keeps losing its WiFi connection.

The connection will run fine all day but after I leave it charging overnight then the next day the WiFi often wont work.

When this happens the settings still show it as connected to the WiFi access point but no apps can connect to the web and they all behave as if there is no network. An orange text message appears in settings stating "no internet connection" under the access point name.

Does anyone else have this issue with a brand new iPad Pro?

Anything I should try before going back to Apple?

Trouble shooting steps:

Toggling the WiFi off and on does not resolve it, neither did a network settings reset or "forgetting" the network and reconnecting.

The problem just recurs randomly.

Only thing that works is a restart (reboot) and then its back to normal until the next time.

Speedtest shows performance is normal. Happens 2 or three times per week now.

Nothing else has changed, its the same network setup I've been running for the past couple of years, all my other devices including iPhones and other iPads continue to have no issues.

I think this is either a hardware or iPadOS software issue, but how to know?

Apple support chat were not helpful, mostly wasting a lot of time asking about my network.

iPad Pro, 11-inch, 4th Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 3:03 PM

It’s excellent you provided all the details above that you did.

For what it’s worth, I also have an 11” iPad Pro 4th generation that I’ve had for two months. It behaves just fine on my Wi-Fi network.

The one thing I didn’t notice in your description was trying a different network. Is yours the only network you’ve tried?

And when you tap the “i” upon seeing “no internet connection”, do you get any additional clues?

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 3:03 PM in response to Zap_Zap

It’s excellent you provided all the details above that you did.

For what it’s worth, I also have an 11” iPad Pro 4th generation that I’ve had for two months. It behaves just fine on my Wi-Fi network.

The one thing I didn’t notice in your description was trying a different network. Is yours the only network you’ve tried?

And when you tap the “i” upon seeing “no internet connection”, do you get any additional clues?

If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2023 12:23 PM in response to Zap_Zap

So I thought I should provide an update to the community on my wi fi issue.

I ended up taking my iPad Pro back to my local Apple store and they swapped it over.

The new one has no problems connecting to wi fi.

I had a bit of an issue, initially, with the Apple store because I couldn’t demonstrate the fault to them.

(It was only happening overnight while charging, so obviously it didn’t display any issues in store.)

They seemed reluctant at first to believe me, and they wanted to explore potential issues with my network.

I guess most of the people they get in store are "mums and dads" who have no clue, so 97% of the time it will be user errors they are dealing with and so its understandably difficult for them to rapidly pivot their perspective when needed, but we got there eventually. The also hooked up some kind of diagnostic device but it reported nothing, which was disappointing.

Anyhow, the problem is resolved with this replacement iPad.

Dec 26, 2022 5:02 PM in response to sberman

Hi sberman, thanks for responding.

Unfortunately I don't have any other networks to connect to here at home, certainly none that I would connect to overnight for a few days to see if the issue recurs, although that is a good suggestion.

No additional info is given in the settings when this happens.

Regarding the network: I suppose the focus on the network must be intuitive.

The iPad is "new" so people intuitively go looking in other places, even though all I have done is add the iPad to my network. If I was setting up a new network, or if this was the first device I was adding to the network then I guess I would understand the intuition, but that’s not the case, as I said in my original post.

However, as a thought experiment, let's work through this intuition:

Let us suppose that the iPad is working perfectly, both hardware and software.

So then the issue must be the wifi network, or maybe even the ISP, right?

(We wont go so far to say its anything else in the environment, for example the electricity service, because that seems to be a bridge too far, so to speak, even intuitively).

So our hypothesis is that there is a network related issue causing this.

Ok, good so far, however, I notice that nothing has changed in my network infrastructure.

So the same devices, firmware and settings. In fact, they haven't even been touched by anyone in awhile.

Next I notice that none of my other devices have this issue. So thats a TV, three iPhones (11, X and SE), 2 other iPads (Air 2), a Windows 10 PC, a Windows 11 laptop, a Windows 10 laptop, 2 Bose speakers a Nintendo game machine, a PS4 and a very old iPad 2.

Ok, so what conclusions are reasonable in this scenario?

We have:

1. iPad Pro 2022 wifi adapter requires a new wifi protocol that my current network doesn't support OR
  2. iPad Pro wifi connectivity software requires a protocol that my current network doesn’t support OR
  3. My wifi router has a "feature" that periodically blocks the iPad Pro until the iPad is rebooted OR
  4. The iPad wifi connection works until a specific network condition that only affects this device is triggered OR
  5. The ISP is doing something with my service that only affects the iPad Pro.

These conclusions would mean that the iPad is not backward compatible with my network.

The router is a 802.11ac AC3200 tri-band device, wifi 5.

The ISP is a big one here, with millions of users. I've been with them for years.

Is this hypothesis likely? Nah. So I exclude this as a realistic scenario.

Anything is possible, but we have to take a probabilistic approach, right?

Ok, so what about if its actually a fault in the iPad, hardware or software?

I know that seems radical at first glance because the iPad still has the magical aura of "newness" about it.

It still smells new. Its box is still waiting to be recycled! How could it be the iPad!!?

Well, maybe the hardware is fine and its just some simple bug in the firmware or even the software, that Apple will eventually notice and fix! Who knows? I guess this is why I posted here, to find out if anyone else has the same issue.

If some people did have the same issue then we could suppose a design issue.

If no one else does then I would lean towards it being a hardware fault with this particular one.

Sounds like yours is not having this issue?

Good to hear it, probably weakens the argument that its a design issue then.

The "mine works" response goes a little way in giving me confidence that the new iPad Pro is likely designed properly, but otherwise doesn’t really help me.

I will take it back to Apple and see if they have any way to access internal logs that may help.

WiFi problem on new iPad Pro 4th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.