Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch to APFS

I called Apple because my App Store App is not working anymore (quits when launched) and I can't update further than 10.14. I was told to reinstall the OS on my 2017 MacBook Pro. I was going to reinstall but it will not because my drive is not formatted as APFS, it's Mac OS Extended (Journaled). What is the best way to proceed. Do I have to format my drive and restore from my CCC backup? If so, do I format as APFS or APFS (encrypted)?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2018 4:04 AM

Update

Just for people to know, I made sure I had a full CCC backup and rebooted from the backup (had to jump through a couple of hoops to make this happen). Launched Disk Utility and formatted the internal drive to APFS. Launched CCC and restored the backup to the internal drive. All went well. The internal drive kept the APFS formatting even if the backup was made when the internal drive was HFS. I had first tried to put the Mac in Recovery mode, format drive, re-install the OS and migrate the files from the backup. What a mess. It did not work. CCC worked great and all is working great now.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2018 4:04 AM in response to AndreCampeau

Update

Just for people to know, I made sure I had a full CCC backup and rebooted from the backup (had to jump through a couple of hoops to make this happen). Launched Disk Utility and formatted the internal drive to APFS. Launched CCC and restored the backup to the internal drive. All went well. The internal drive kept the APFS formatting even if the backup was made when the internal drive was HFS. I had first tried to put the Mac in Recovery mode, format drive, re-install the OS and migrate the files from the backup. What a mess. It did not work. CCC worked great and all is working great now.

Dec 23, 2018 1:19 PM in response to AndreCampeau

Actually, you can update further than 10.14. The current release version of Mojave is 10.14.2: Get macOS Mojave. Converting from HFS+ to APFS will require reformatting the disk to APFS. Unless you require special protection in which case use APFS (Encrypted.)

Do not try using CCC to clone your HFS+ backup to a newly formatted APFS drive because CCC will revert it to HFS+ in order to make the restored system bootable. Instead only restore your files contained in your Home folder. Restore any third-party apps from their original sources.

You can erase your old CCC backup and reformat the backup drive to APFS then make a new backup.

Dec 23, 2018 1:51 PM in response to AndreCampeau

I have Show All Devices selected and it's still greyed out when selecting either volume.

Unfortunate , but now you see your way forward.

You can manually download the combo update 10.14.2 maybe this will sort your App Store dilemma in itself.

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.2 Combo Update

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1987?locale=en_US

How to switch to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.