Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a SIM card to use my Iwatch series 4

I was told that I need a SIM card for my series Iwatch 4 in order to use it and they will also give me a new phone number! I just want to use my Iwatch with the existing IPhone 6

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2018 3:12 PM

The watch uses an electronic SIM that is build into the watches hardware. When you activate cellular the carrier sets up the electronic SIM.

You do not need a new line. You carrier assigns a phone number for the watch but they only use that for there accounting . It means nothing to you . You can't use it for anything. Your watch uses the same number as it paired phone.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2018 3:12 PM in response to miriamfromphiladelphia

The watch uses an electronic SIM that is build into the watches hardware. When you activate cellular the carrier sets up the electronic SIM.

You do not need a new line. You carrier assigns a phone number for the watch but they only use that for there accounting . It means nothing to you . You can't use it for anything. Your watch uses the same number as it paired phone.

Dec 23, 2018 3:55 PM in response to miriamfromphiladelphia

Expanding on what lllaass said, the cellular version of Apple Watch must be configured by your network, as a second device on your existing iPhone calling plan. The watch has its own SIM permanently built into the electronics and they just need to enter its details into your plan. You keep your current number, and the watch and phone share the number so when a call arrives both devices ring together. The only reason you might need a new SIM would be some obscure technical issue like you have a really ancient SIM and they need to upgrade it, but you would simply be a replacement SIM for your phone and you would still keep your existing number.

Do I need a SIM card to use my Iwatch series 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.